3V vs AEB-L

abraves

Gold Member
I always thought the AEB-L was better but I’ve watched some videos and it seems the 3V is the way to go on the CPK flavor. I’m sure either are good but what are everyone’s thoughts? I’m trying to score the DEK1 oh let’s be real I want the 2 and well the rest of them.

Last edited:
I always thought the AEB-L was better but I’ve watched some videos and it seems the 3V is the way to go on the CPK flavor. I’m sure either are good but what are everyone’s thoughts? I’m trying to score the DEK1 oh let’s be real I want the 2 and we’ll the rest of them.

Nathan’s Delta 3V is not regular 3V. Delta 3V on a knife where Nathan has optimized the cutting angle is a special beast. It has better edge stability, toughness, sharpenability, and stain resistance than a typical 3V knife. Aeb-l is very tough and has a fine grain structure that takes a razor edge. I love it and think it’s a great steel, especially at higher hardness. But Nate is known for Delta 3V and Delta 3V will outpace aeb-l.

Now, real talk: will you notice the difference? Many CPKs don’t get used to the point where the differences matter. From my perspective, since CPK is known for delta 3V, maybe it makes a lot of sense to pick up a CPK in a non Delta 3V steel. It will be cheaper and you’ll still get all the other stuff that makes CPK great: the handles, the blade angle, the fit and finish, and etc. This is purely, 100% my opinion but maybe it’s better to start on aeb-l and see if you even like the Dek. Because steel is just one element in a knife and maybe it’s not even the most important one, you know what I mean?

Agreed Box_Opener Box_Opener !

I'm lucky enough to have a chance to use a few different CPK in different steels and I'll say D3V (Nathan's secret sauce)
Is my favorite

But that all depends on what you're using them for!

Anything Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist is putting out as his product are going to be beyond great!!!!!!!

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!!!!!

IMO, if you like basic carbon steels, like I do, you'll love AEBL. It acts like a basic carbon steel, but doesn't rust. It's wonderful. I think for the DEK, it's a very good option. The DEK I carry is in AEBL. I can sharpen it on pretty much anything and have it razor sharp in a blink. It also responds well to butcher steels.

Which brings me to my opinion of it being superior to steels like 3V as a chefs knife (and some other uses). I like to keep my chefs knife screaming sharp and I lightly touch it up or steel it frequently. AEBL is very easy to do this with. D3V and some other high performance steels aren't bad, but for the combination of fine edge stability, ok toughness, and extreme ease of sharpening, people still love basic carbon steels in the kitchen and out in the field. Add on being stainless to those properties and you've got AEBL.

CPK's AEBL will be better than that which you've seen from other companies. Any steel they touch will be. As has been stated by others, 3V is CPK's flagship steel with their special delta heat treatment. It's the standard for a reason, it has excellent toughness, has very good fine edge stability, very good edge holding, is kind of in the middle for ease of sharpening (much easier than super steels, harder than basic carbon steels), and has near stainless corrosion resistance. It's desirable in that it isn't the best at anything, but pretty good at everything. There really aren't any compromises with it.

So what does AEBL mean to people who think a lot less about this stuff than I do (if at all)? It won't stay sharp as long, but it'll sharpen up easier. If you're in a wet and humid environment, you'll also notice that it has better corrosion resistance.

Honestly I bet there is only 1 out of 100 D3v knives that is used where the D3v made a difference. Just saying that 1% or maybe less of the people on here use their CPKs. I’m included in that bunch meaning I don’t use them to where I would see any difference in Abe-l vs D3v.

To me the extra stainless factory with Aeb-l is why I prefer to have CPK knives in that steel or Magnacut.

Larrin rates the toughness factory of both Aeb-l and 3V as a 9. What does D3v bring? Maybe 10? Honest question I don’t know.

Note, I do own some CPKs in D3v and love them as well. I just can’t stand a rusted or patina blade so I just have to make sure and keep D3v away from the h2o just to be safe. Not heard of D3v rusting easily but I don’t want to take the chance. Unless there are zombies.

Nathan’s Delta 3V is not regular 3V. Delta 3V on a knife where Nathan has optimized the cutting angle is a special beast. It has better edge stability, toughness, sharpenability, and stain resistance than a typical 3V knife. Aeb-l is very tough and has a fine grain structure that takes a razor edge. I love it and think it’s a great steel, especially at higher hardness. But Nate is known for Delta 3V and Delta 3V will outpace aeb-l.

Now, real talk: will you notice the difference? Many CPKs don’t get used to the point where the differences matter. From my perspective, since CPK is known for delta 3V, maybe it makes a lot of sense to pick up a CPK in a non Delta 3V steel. It will be cheaper and you’ll still get all the other stuff that makes CPK great: the handles, the blade angle, the fit and finish, and etc. This is purely, 100% my opinion but maybe it’s better to start on aeb-l and see if you even like the Dek. Because steel is just one element in a knife and maybe it’s not even the most important one, you know what I mean?

This. Well said. :thumbsup:

The correct answer is: you need both, of course !

In practice, similar to @pineapple42’s suggestion, I use an AEB-L DEK1 more for food, citrus fruit, etc, and a D3V DEK1 more in the workshop.

AEB-L was invented for razor blades, is easy to get very sharp, and CPK’s implementation is great. D3V is in my eyes the best knife steel out there today, if you don’t worry about possible corrosion in extreme condition (acids, salt, etc).

Note that the DEK1 also comes in Magnacut.

I actually don’t have any real world experience with AEB-L, but it’s probably my favorite steel I never had. D3V has already proven itself invaluable to me so no need to expand on what’s already been stated.

You should Really get some AEB-L......
It's pretty great, very underrated.
3V only beats it in edge retention at same hardness levels and That's not very important.
AEB-L can run WAY harder!
Is tougher
More stain resistant
Easier to sharpen
Gets a finer edge
Less expensive
Worst thing about It is it's crappy name..... 😂

I think ultimately only Joey X can answer the question of which DEK1 is better...3v, or AEB-L?

Haha

Good prior post on the topic with some quotes from Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist :

Would be curious how optimized Magnacut compares to AEBL…

EDCs are the tits.

iu

Back