3V vs S35VN characteristics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed in the Production Schedule thread that some upcoming knives are being made out of 3V and S35VN. Assuming that you had two (nearly) identical knives, one made from each steel,(e.g. ZT 0100 VS Chris Reeve Knives Green Beret Knife CPM S35-VN), what would you expect the performance difference to be? Is S35VN more corrosion resistant? (I notice it's being used in some kitchen knives later in the year.)

Assuming that you had two (nearly) identical knives, one made from each steel,(e.g. ZT 0100 VS Chris Reeve Knives Green Beret Knife CPM S35-VN), what would you expect the performance difference to be? Is S35VN more corrosion resistant?

3V isn't stainless, S35VN is stainless. 3V will be tougher than S35VN.

as for "performance", it depends on what you will be doing with the knife.

Last edited:
+1 to what they said. For EDC uses, I think S35VN is great. 3V would be good for a much more hard use blade though.

S35VN is a true stainless steel, though 3V isn't too bad for a carbon steel. 3V on of the toughest steels out there second only to S7 (maybe 5160) and about equal to INFI, S35VN will be an adequate toughness (S30V is used in many larger blades, and S35VN is suppose to be like 30% tougher, 3V would be like 300% more). As for edge holding, they should be pretty close, so really both have very good edge holding, its just do you want a more stain resistant steel or a tougher steel.

the two knives he gave examples for have different blade geometries and thicknesses, that has to also be taken into account. to really determine which knife will suit him best, we need to know what he plans on using it for.

Last edited:
s35vn is stainless and a bit tougher than s30v(only by a little bit....same with edge retention)
3v is over twice as tough as M4 with edge retention over d2 and just under s30v

How is 3V in edge retention compared to S7 or M4? I'm noticing some knifemakers using 3V in choppers and knives with hard-use geometry lately.

3V is almost as tough as S7, in exchange for increased wear resistance. Not sure how it compares to M4, I have never used it.

I love 3V on my hard use blades. It hold a great edge, and can take quite a bit of abuse before needing to be re-sharpened. My main outdoor knives are 3V (Fehrman Hoodhunter and Peacemaker) and I love how they perform.

the two knives he gave examples for have different blade geometries and thicknesses, that has to also be taken into account. to really determine which knife will suit him best, we need to know what he plans on using it for.

I am in favor of military life, so as a part of my hobby collection, a combat knife with strong survival, tool and self-defence functions attract me~~~

How is 3V in edge retention compared to S7 or M4? I'm noticing some knifemakers using 3V in choppers and knives with hard-use geometry lately.

S7 is pretty low in the edge retention category, yet the highest of regularly used steels in toughness, take a step down in toughness to 3V, but a sizable step up in edge holding, and same thing for M4, take another step down in toughness and step up in edge retention, while still tougher than most premium stainless steels.
Fig3-WR.jpg

s35vn is stainless and a bit tougher than s30v(only by a little bit....same with edge retention)
3v is over twice as tough as M4 with edge retention over d2 and just under s30v

I beg to differ. I have tested various S30V knives, and also 2 S35VN knives. Same test.

S35VN doesn't hold a candle to S30V in terms of edge retention. It just doesn't hold it's edge, period. Even 154cm out performs S35VN. 19 other knives have done this test, and I would venture to say that ALL other steels that I have tested out performed s35VN. Yes, even 420hc stayed sharp longer than S35VN.

I have no problem with the steel, but I do feel like it is not ran as hard as it should be.

[video=youtube;z1oq7PzjJkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1oq7PzjJkY[/video]

[video=youtube;q3nfCJtAcLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3nfCJtAcLI[/video]

^^

Yeah S35VN really isn't all that great IMO.

S30V is just a better steel.

I think they went too far the other way with S35VN, but as time goes on that will become very apparent.

I still believe S35VN is a mistake.

If they wanted a steel with 3% Vanadium they should have just used ELMAX as it is very stable and proven instead of gutting S30V.

Like I always say there are no free lunches with steels and with S35VN they took too much away from S30V without adding enough other alloys and they will figure that out hopefully before too long.

Last edited:
I really dont know what to think, but i'm thinking of canceling my sebbie in s35 thats on order

I really dont know what to think, but i'm thinking of canceling my sebbie in s35 thats on order

S35VN rolls and flattens way too easy, it's really not that strong if you are cutting abrasive materials.

I have had exactly the same things happen as in the video and not just cutting rope either.

Last edited:
You seemed to be impressed with it in this video.
[video=youtube;RmgbgSlV2QI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmgbgSlV2QI[/video]

Wow. Crimsontideshooter, Ankerson, thank you for the information. I had no idea S35VN was such a step down in terms of edge retention.

Last edited:
You seemed to be impressed with it in this video.
[video=youtube;RmgbgSlV2QI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmgbgSlV2QI[/video]

The Mule did OK, but that was before I really gave S35VN a workout in different blades, in the end the Mule (2) did the best out of them.

S30V is a better option though IMO.

If they can find a way to get S35VN to 62 HRC or so it could do better I think, current hardness is just too soft.

Last edited:
Wow. Crimsontideshooter, Ankerson, thank you for the information. I had no idea S35VN was such a step down in terms of edge retention.

When you lower the Alloy content that forms the carbides without adding another carbide former into the matrix there is only one way to go and it's not better. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back