4-1/2" kwaiken in Crucible CPM-S45vn and amboyna

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Made this lil' guy for myself. It's been ages since I had one to carry, and was planning on just making a quick utilitarian one, but remembered how much I liked the ones I did with nice wood scales under the wrap..

This one is made of .170" thick Crucible CPM-S45vn, a steel I'm really enjoying using. Seems to take a nice, fine edge, and grinds and finishes quite nicely. The 4-1/2" blade is hollow ground on a 12" wheel, and ground thin because I like them slicey (about .007" before sharpening, give or take).

The tang has been skeletonized as well as tapered, and then the amboyna scales were applied with epoxy and hidden pins, then ground so that the taper effect of the tang was slightly reversed, providing a slightly thicker butt to aid in retention. Both the tsukaito lace and the turk's head knot have been soaked in resin for durability.

Overall length is just over 9", and point of balance is at the middle of the turk's head knot. Final weight is 5 ounces.

2020080915361448--3198095930981257690-dsc_3734-X2.jpg

Thanks for looking! It's fun doing these quick little knives in between bigger projects. :D

I want to see that overhead shot of the handle growing larger at the butt. Smart.

Your photo is killer. You are making me squirm... ;)

I want to see that overhead shot of the handle growing larger at the butt. Smart.

Your photo is killer. You are making me squirm... ;)

It's a subtle thing, for sure, but here goes:

2020081308434219--5137175944110390077-IMG_7992-X2.jpg

Obviously, were the scales left the same thickness, the width would follow the taper of the tang. If you look carefully, you can see that the area just behind the turk's head knot is just slightly thinner than the butt. A tiny thing, but you can feel the effect when you have it in hand - sort of wedges your hand forward, rather than backward, improving grip and retention.

Back