4.7 or 4.1????? Can't Decide

Riz!

Platinum Member
My buddy wants to order a 4.1 or a 4.7. The problem is he can't decide which to get. My question is if you ordered one which did you order and why? I am a 5.1 guy myself. If I was gonna order, it would be a 4.1 because there is too much overlap in the 4.7 and a 5.1.

Please explain your answers and help my buddy Jake decide.

Last edited:
Umm... I ordered all 3 ... and the 3.5 ... and the 12.

BUT I ordered all those knives as a way of investing in Guy's operation and also to allow me to post comparison pics for folk when they arrive (though with staggered arrivals, we'll see if i have to sell some before others make it in :( ).

I agree that you'll see overlap between these. The 4.1 or smaller is a good size for deer hunting, hiking, general chores. The 4.7+ aims for all-around camp-knife. To put it in perspective, I'm waiting on a Gerber Strongarm which is also offered to our soldiers at the PX: blade-length and OAL specs are very close to the GSO-4.7. GSO-5.1 adds some length :thumbup:

I decided to wait until people got these in their hands to decide which future models I'd want (though I did order my wife a 3.5 starter). But that said....:

The 4.7 is currently in production, so unless he can snag an over run when they get all finished up, that might be a stretch, which means secondary market or a long wait
The 4.1 is still available to order

what does he want it for?

If he wants a do-all knife I'd go with the 4.7, but if he wants a tough hiker I'd go 4.1...there really is a fair amount of overlap. I personally like the "look" of the 4.7 better, but that's based on renderings...

Tell this dude to get both! :)

I did order the 4.1 and 4.7. Guy has described the 4.7 as his take on a SERE knife and to me this means the ultimate one tool jack of all trades in a portable size. My expectation is that the 4.7 (and 5) will be a single, ideal for my meager needs around the yard and on day hikes.

The 4.1 seems like the ideal size for a lot of bushcrafters and others in the small/medium range. If you're doing mainly "knife stuff" then this is it. I plan on keeping a 4.1 and 10 together as a pair to have everything covered.

What will Jake need the knife for? What will he mostly be doing with it?

EDC 4.1 not EDC/doesn't need an EDC then 4.7.

Just my $0.02 but it's what he wants to do with it. The 4.1 can be a hard use knife and is a great all around knife that you can EDC. The 4.7 is more of a put in the bag or carry when camping or hiking. But you can also do this with a 4.1. So tell him to get a 4.1 and if he needs a bigger knife to get the 5.1 and or the 7/7 and he's all done unless he wants a really big knife like the 10 or 12.

Good info...

Does anyone have a 5 and 4.1 they can compare, as that is likely the most close representation of his dilemma?

Because they're available for preorder, get in on a 4.1 now and get some use on it. If he doesn't like it, move it to the exchange and hunt down a 4.7, there will be some out by then.

I opted for a 4.7 because I really had my heart set on a 5, but liked the look of the ergos on the new runs. One thing about buying GSOs that you've got to love is the ability to move them if they don't fit you. They hit the exchange and they're gobbled up quick.

The 4.1 is a fantastic knife and I have a hard time believing your buddy would be disappointed with owning one.

The 4.7 looks like a great middle-ground between the 4.1 and the 5.1. I'm very curious to see side-by-side pics and get a 4.7 in my hands.

I would have to agree with the majority and say at least one of each.

I'm really digging the 5.1 to add to my collection. Personally I think the 4.1 is too close to the 3.5 for my needs. However I still want ten of them. :)

He told me today that he likes the knife, axe/hatchet combo. Thinking about that, I would probably opt for the smaller and thinner 4.1, but that is just me. You guys can rest assired that I told him to get a 4.1 now because he will be sure to actually get one. The 4.7 is going to have to get bought from an over run of the startes or picked up on the exchange.

Also... If he gets both, whichever one he doesnt want will never make it to the exchange, because Survivor #5 will buy it from him.

I sent him the link to this thread and he is following it. I do not think he is a forum member though.

I went with a 4.1 recently as my first. I hindsight I wish I had gone a bit larger. The 4.1 is nearly identical in dimensions as my Becker bk16. So I would have gone larger just to avoid the redundancy. As it stands, I would go 4.1 for him since it would be more easily attainable.

He told me today that he likes the knife, axe/hatchet combo. Thinking about that, I would probably opt for the smaller and thinner 4.1, but that is just me. You guys can rest assired that I told him to get a 4.1 now because he will be sure to actually get one. The 4.7 is going to have to get bought from an over run of the startes or picked up on the exchange.

Also... If he gets both, whichever one he doesnt want will never make it to the exchange, because Survivor #5 will buy it from him.

I sent him the link to this thread and he is following it. I do not think he is a forum member though.

That'll be a great knife to add to the trio!

I'm glad others brought up the availability aspect. Jump on a 4.1 preorder quick!

Selling extra blades between friends is a win win :)

Back