4 by Farr

No, it's not a truck.

Very funny! And, am I glad there are four! By Farr! These are wonderful hunters. His handle work is outstanding.

...and he likes the depth of finish to bring out the 3-D qualities of the wood.

It is obvious Dan is at the top of his game, and going the extra mile to do so.

- Joe

I especially like the second from the top.

I am not sure I like the BOLD UPPERCASE NAME ETCH but everything else is primo.

Farr's knives are always beautiful. Some of my friends is so crazy for his works.

Very nice! I agreed.

Nice engraving on the guards. I think his handles are top notch. I really enjoy the stippling and engraving he does. My favorite is the first one, but would prefer the dropped edge ground off, and then it would look perfect to my eye. It's not really a turnoff but now that Anthony mentions it I think his mark can be improved.

What kind of finish does he put on the knives,.. it looks from the photos like it's mirror, but can't tell..

STeven,
How does the stabilizing process work? How is it done .. and is it like vacuum packing the pores of the wood w/ plastic, or epoxy? I don't hear much about it, other than the rare mention of it.

This is the kind of art in knives I admire.. thank the good Lord he didn't use damascus for these. ;)
David

* the last one pictured is my favorite, ..but they are all spectacular.

Anthony and Jose mentioned Dan's new mark. Back at Blade I saw the new etched mark and remarked on them. He told me that on the particular knives that I was looking at that the steel was one that he was trying out, I can't remember if it was cpm 3v or what. But he was forging with it and said that it was very tough. He didn't want to use his maker's stamp on those because he wasn't sure that the stamp wouldn't be marred/dented on that steel. I don't know if the same thing holds true on these knives also. But regardless of stamp vs etch, I agree that the bolder type on this new mark isn't as nice as his older thinner letters.

What kind of finish does he put on the knives,.. it looks from the photos like it's mirror, but can't tell..

STeven,
How does the stabilizing process work? How is it done .. and is it like vacuum packing the pores of the wood w/ plastic, or epoxy? I don't hear much about it, other than the rare mention of it.

1. Dan does about the most awesome handrubbed satin finish out there.

2. Stabilized wood-Two-part process requires applying acrylic resins to a handle material followed by a curing period. The result is a water-resistant, harder-than-untreated wood that can be machined and drilled, and that can be polished to any finish you'd put on steel, from satin to a high gloss(from this website:http://www.stabilizedwood.com)

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I'll have to take a better look of the finish at Blade. Thanks for the info. These handles and art work are nearly unmatched, in my opinion. Really terrific, the more I look at the photos. It just speaks of functional art, w/ no real sacrifices in design.

Corners are well rounded, sculpted, have a nice flow. Brings out the beauty of the wood. The art doesn't overpower the knives, but adds to it. Nice! I hope to see more of his knives posted here.
David

Dan wrote an article in Blade recently on elements of handle design. A VERY worthwhile read, IMHO.

Roger

Back