4-Max?! USA Made, CPM-20CV, Cold Steel?! This can't be happening!

got mine for a while now...absolutely the best folder i own...best in terms of tough, solid and great slicer as well.

only thing thats "wrong"is the big gap between the lockbar and the back spacer...thats unnesecarily wide

So...I just ran across the 4-MAX and was looking for more information. Are they now being produced in Italy? Viper? What is going on? Who is stocking the 4-MAX?

got mine for a while now...absolutely the best folder i own...best in terms of tough, solid and great slicer as well.

only thing thats "wrong"is the big gap between the lockbar and the back spacer...thats unnesecarily wide

If you send your MAX back to Cold Steel they will correct the problem.

I got my 4-MAX yesterday. I believe it is a "Gen 2" version. The criticisms I read on-line had me a little concerned. However, after close inspection, carrying and playing with it for a day the only criticism I have with it is common to other Cold Steel folders with the Triade lock system. They are all a little difficult to "unlock", some more so than others. I carried it in my Tactical shorts when I worked-out today and actually forgot it was there. Caveat: With that said, this is not a knife for guys who like skinny jeans and man buns. :)

Does anyone know if the 4 max has the Teflon washers? Mine didn't have but my other cold steel do.

What a journey for me. I wanted it last year but there were supply issues then the problems that arose so I decided to wait. Got antsy so decided on buying one anyway asking the seller to inspect. Of course there were many flaws despite inspection so into cold steel warranty it went. After a month or so they decided that they will just replace the whole thing but it's out of stock. So waited about another month for it to be in stock then ship to my brother then for him to ship it overseas. Basically 4 months after I have ordered it , it is finally in my hands. But wait there's more..
Well aesthetically the sample was fine but there was action problems. I spent 4 hours polishing and inspecting every internal part. The washers were bone dry which explained why the blade wouldn't drop. The lock bar was difficult disengage and actually got stuck in the unlock position so blade was loose when "closed". Any who, finally a working 4 max.
Is it worth it? Yeah lol but quite an experience. So anyone take it apart?

Wow, that was a journey. I had the same issue with a lock bar that got stuck in the unlock position. I'm curious - what causes that? I ended up selling mine.

Just got mine the other day and what a BEAST! Wasn't really planning to get one, but happened on a good deal on eBay so grabbed it, hoping it will rise in value. Due to the low price I was thinking that maybe it was going to be the new one made in Italy (the listing didn't say), but it is a USA model. The box was a bit beat up, but it was shipped in a padded envelope, so not sure if this was the reason it was a good deal, or if it got beat up in shipping. Some of the neg feedback for the seller were claims of used items and seconds being sold as new, so who knows. But the knife itself seems perfect, so not too worried about it. One thing I am a bit surprised about is that the 3 small handle screws aren't countersunk to be flush...a small nit to pick, but would have expected it on a higher-end knife. And why is there a hole in the finger guard? Putting anything through there would interfere with the blade movement, so seems odd.

Sounds like you got a good one. The Italy-made version hasn't been released yet.

I finally got one that works right. I had bad luck with my first two, Lock Bar getting stuck in the disengaged position. First one took a trip back to Cold Steels Customer Service/warranty department, who sent it back in the same condition, which I am planning on sending back again.

Second one, The dealer took back on a return, and finally got one that is perfect, so It's all good now. If CS can fix the other one I have, I may keep it, gift it, or sell it, not sure.

Back