420HC Corrosion resistance?

I've had a few knives in the past but nothing you would call "High Quality/Price"
manly due to the fact that my knives are subjected to a pretty harsh environment. After have a couple knives that didn't stand up to the being soaked in sweat, covered in gas, and oil and numerous other liquids the liners would
all begin to rust along with most of the screws ect.

(I do lawn care work for a living)

I know just enough about knife steels to make a "poor" educated guess.
As I did with a CRKT in AUS-4. To say the least it was not near as good as my old Gerber E-Z out. (Which is long gone and lost). Now all this is out of the way, I'll get to my questions.

1. Is 420HC that Buck uses pretty corrosion resistant?
Let's say more so than AUS8, or 440C?

2. And is the 4420HC pretty tough?
Ex. Will the blade get chips in it when cutting through industrial line trimmer line?

I could answer all these questions my self in time. But it being winter
I don't have alot of work to test all this out.

BTW, I just bought a Buck Bantam BBW in 420HC.
Hence all the 420HC questions.

Thanks all.

I have a Buck Bantam that I often clip to my inner waist band while running. In case I find a good hiking trail along the way. After a year of being exposed to sweat it hasn't rusted. I clean it every time as soon as I get home, though. Most all stainless steels can rust to some degree, but 420 is one of the best in terms of rust resistance. It's also easy to sharpen which I like, and Buck does 420 better than anyone.

Here is a quote from another thread about this:
The three steels first mentioned here, 440C, 425M and 420HC all are good steels and all have their place. When peopel talk about toughness, I am not sure if they are referring to the true technical term of toughness, which is a measure of a steels ductility (ability to deform/bend before fracturing). I am also not sure what is meatn by lateral strength. Abrasion resistance is closely tied to sharpness obviously.
440C is a good blade steel; it holds an edge well IF H/T PROPERLY AND EDGED AND SHARPENED WITH THE CORRECT ANGLE. Without both of these things being present, 440C doesn't function any beter than "cheaper" steels. 440C does not have as good of corrosion resistance as 425M or 420HC; 440C also has larger carbides that create a more course grain structure which affects ductility and strength.
425M and 420HC are VERY close to each other in all respects. Both have better corrosion resistance than 440C and both have finer grain structures than 440C, thus generally better ductility and more uniform hardness throughout the blade. If H/T AND EDGED AND SHARPENED PROPERLY, BOTH FUNCTION AS AN EXCELLENT GENERAL PURPOSE CUTLERY STEEL. Again, the key is both of the things must be present. We have seen 420HC (as well as 440C) out perform (initial sharpness and edge holding) ATS34, BG42 and S30V that was NOT heat treated well or edged and sharpend correctly.
You will always see me reference 420HC intentionally because 420 stainless can have a carbon content from .2% to .45%, and still be called 420 stainless. 420HC is 420 stainless with a minimum Carbon content specified, whcih is what Buck does. 420HC is really not an AISI (American Iron and Steel Institute) designation.
If you appreciate and want a "higher" performing steel in the strength and sharpness catagories, then select one of our S30V models. We heat treat them right and usually know how to edge and sharpen them correctly.

All of the info above we have developed over a number of years via testing in our QA lab, using CATRA machines, tensile test machines, salt water exposure tests and metalography.

Bill Keys
Director of Manufacturing and Engineering
Buck Knives, Inc.

Shooter, Welcome . I would'nt think Buck's 420HC would have any problem cutting weed eater line . You probably live in a humid area that gets more rain so grass will grow . Give the Bantam a good work out this summer and let us know what you think . I think you'll be happy . DM

I've never had a problem with Buck's 420HC corroding. It's a good, tough, serviceable steel (especially with Paul Bos' heat treat) that will take a lot of abuse. It is also quite easy to sharpen and takes a very fine edge if that's what you want.

1. Is 420HC that Buck uses pretty corrosion resistant?
Let's say more so than AUS8, or 440C?

2. And is the 4420HC pretty tough?
Ex. Will the blade get chips in it when cutting through industrial line trimmer line?

I could answer all these questions my self in time. But it being winter
I don't have alot of work to test all this out.

BTW, I just bought a Buck Bantam BBW in 420HC.
Hence all the 420HC questions.

Thanks all.

1) Yes. 420HC is pretty corrosion resistant. I'd say it is more corrosion resistant than either AUS8 or 440C. (I know it to be more corrosion resistant than 440C.)

2) Yes. 420HC is reasonably tough. My weed trimmer self-feed mechanism crapped out years ago. I have to do a manual feed and trim the line each time the edges fray. Many's the time I have used a Buck 301 to cut it. No chips, ever. I use heavy polymer line. If you use metal line it'd be a question mark.

Shooter,

I intentionally take my bantam 286 when I have a chance of getting it wet or Know it will get wet. It goes to camp and on camping trips to the lake-no corrosion on it at all. I just make sure it is dry at the end of the day.

Back