4600/4800kc edge holding?

The website I bought this powdered steel from says the nickel negatively affects the edge holding ability, but they also told me when I asked that it’s an alloy (as opposed to a mix of powdered nickel and powdered steel) with about .8 carbon content. Considering 15n20 holds and edge just fine with 1.5-2% nickel and stainless often has 10-15% (though I know stainless is its own can of worms), why would these powdered steels not be able to with only slightly higher nickel content? Has anyone ever made a sharp blade with 46/4800kc?

I emailed USAknifemaker's customer service and they wrote back and said it was poorly worded in the description and that the 4600/4800kc steels will hold an edge fine, it's only powdered nickel that interferes with edge holding. So if anyone else was wondering this like me, case closed!

The website I bought this powdered steel from says the nickel negatively affects the edge holding ability, but they also told me when I asked that it’s an alloy (as opposed to a mix of powdered nickel and powdered steel) with about .8 carbon content. Considering 15n20 holds and edge just fine with 1.5-2% nickel and stainless often has 10-15% (though I know stainless is its own can of worms), why would these powdered steels not be able to with only slightly higher nickel content? Has anyone ever made a sharp blade with 46/4800kc?
Just to be clear............it is chrome not nickel which stainless have in that % .....:)

Ah, I knew there were stainless steels with high nickel content but I didn’t realize they weren’t the hardenable ones. 440 has 1% nickel but yeah.
Some specifications have an allowable nickel maximum, but 440-series steels do not have a required nickel addition. Small nickel amounts are common from using recycled steel.

Back