470-1 or 943

Looking for my next knive. Lightweight EDC blade. These two models seem to be very similar, and I'm having a tough time deciding which would better suit me. Are the main differences the clip and assisted opening of the 470? Price is about the same, I really like the deep carry of the 470, but at the same time I don't see the need for the assisted opening feature (I just received my 916 triage and can not believe how quick it is despite not being assisted [first axis knife]). What do opponents of AXIS assist have to say, any real concerns? Opinions and suggestions?

Edit: Now seeing that the 943 is a larger knife, that's a strike against it for me. Don't see a need for my next knife to be greater than 3".
Score:
470: (+) deep carry (-) assisted
943: (-)size

Last edited:
My personal choice would be the 943 - I don't see a need for an assist, and I don't like the safety switch. Just unnecessary clutter on an otherwise very neat, clean design.

That said, I was handling a 470-1 in Bass Pro the other day - assist was nice and quick, no complaints with the design or action except for the safety. Out of the assist mechanisms I've handled (Kershaw, SOG, and Benchmade) - I prefer BM's "Axis-Assist" over the others. Just really smooth and even (though in general I prefer not to have assisted opening).

Used to own a 943, just a great knife all around. Really lightweight but still solid for a 3.4" blade; it'll just disappear in your pocket until you need it. Keep meaning to pick up another one. And as you say, the Axis unassisted is still very fast to open - and fast to close, unlike the Axis-Assist.

Also, the 810/275 deep carry clips should also fit on the 943 - so if that's a major draw for you, it's not exclusive to the 470.

The 470 looks really good but I think it would be too small for me. It looks a lot like a Kershaw Leek and those are way too small for me. I was interested in the 943 for awhile but they are a little uncommon on the sales forums. I finally decided that I like slightly larger knives such as the 913 Stryker, 581 Barrage and the 890.

I really don't see many people talk about the 943 but there is a lot of love for the 940 that is very similar to it except for blade shape.

I much prefer the drop-point of the 943 over the tanto, which is why I'm considering that blade. Safety on the emissary? I'll have to look into that, I'm not familiar.

The 470 is a gem; beautifully made and the assist isn't bad at all. Problem is it's small. For guys with large mitts and those looking for a longer blade, the classic 943 is a better bet. It's surprising to many how much blade packs into a slim frame, and then there's no assist to deal with, it's a simpler design well proven. I've owned both, and give a nod to the 943.

No chance of getting 942 through benchmade with deep-carry clip per special request, is there? Not sure how I would go about obtaining a clip to swap out.

If you contact Benchmade CS and ask nicely they'll send you one of the deep carry clips like the 810.

I think you will not be disapointed by the 943
The design is very compact for à nice blade length

Have you checked 707 Sequel? It is not assisted. For deep carry, as Random Dan has suggested, you can ask CS of Benchmade nicely? ;)
Blade = 2.95"
Closed = 3.8"

470 BL = 3" CL = 3.9"

I personally prefer 943 over 470 due to handle size.

Back