499 Pilots Survival Knife

David Nowlin

Gold Member
At Walmart today doing some shopping and low and behold a knife i been eying for quite some time was on clearance. After i put my eyeballs back in their sockets i got my wallet out and for a mere $20 each i bought the last two.
upload_2019-7-24_19-33-37.jpeg
I am very satisfied though my eyes are still sore.
DN

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-24_19-33-19.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-24_19-33-19.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 1
Great price, indeed. Congrats on the cool find. I gotta check my Wally World after work! I own one, but another would be nice.

What's the date on them puppies?

Is that 2011? Wow i gotta get out and check all my Wally’s too. That’s almost an antique lol
Oh and i plan on using a little Neets Foot oil on the leather to darken the sheath and grip.

I’ll let you know if i find any more at my other Walmarts. Will cost me $5 in gas but i need to get outta tha house once in awhile. Will be good therapy.......:D

Checked my 3 area Walmarts. 2 had one each both at the $38.94 price. So i figured one more would bring the price of each knife to $26. So i’m like WTH and got another one.
Great gift possibility. Or i can have one in each car and one in my bugout bag? Lol
Darn forgot i need one in the shower!!

I wish mine was a limited production one that didn't have the saw back and sharpened swedge. I live in an "EVIL DAGGER!" state and mine's limited to slaying envelopes and opening cooking packages.

Sorry to hear that. I’m guessing its a state I don’t intend on ever visiting. You should move.

Great find. Excellent price. I don’t currently own one but that’s a knife that really brings back some good memories. Awesome camping and woods walking knife. I’ve also cut a lot of fishing bait with one.

Ended up buying 6 as i went back to the beachside Walmart and they had put their last two on clearance for $30. Gave two, one each to my two sons. Everyone should have at least one survival knife don’t you think?

Hello all,

I recently got the 499 at Walmart, as well. I'm curious about a couple of things, which are only seen on the Walmart models. First, the most noticeable difference is that the Walmart models don't have the sharpened swedge, and second, they also lack a fuller. What got my bells ringing, though, was that every single model I've seen that looks like this (no swedge nor fuller) seems to be marked "3-11." Like, literally every one I've seen, including the ones in this thread. So I'm wondering what the deal is with these Walmart ones. At first I thought they might be factory seconds, or defects, etc. Now I'm wondering if the "3-11" marking might be a specific label to this effect.

Anyway, just some curious ramblings but if anyone has any explanations or theories on these specific models, I'd love to hear them. I just can't explain why these are so different from the more common OKC models, and why they'd only be found at Walmart, and why all of them seem to be marked 3-11.

Wow G great questions. I hope the experts can come up with answers? Aren’t you glad most if not all on here want to know every detail about their knives. We aren’t “ I bought a knife it cuts things “ kind of people.
And I didn’t know this same knife also comes with a fuller. Walmart probably contracted those omissions to keep the cost down. Also the lack of the sharpened swedge was maybe a safety issue. Nah it’s all about the cost reduction. 3-11 is a mystery. If its March 2011 thats 8 years sitting in a warehouse or on a shelf? Still i love my survival knives maybe more than my more expensive Kabars? If not more,its very close.
DN

Hmmm... nobody seems to have any answers for us G? Was hoping someone had info or a good story.

Military knives that are intended to have a sharpened swedge and are contracted that way don't comply with knife laws for many States. Most manufactures omit selling models to the public with a sharpened swedge for this reason.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I read that entire thread and though old i had to put my 2 cents worth in. Thanks again
DN

The Walmart "version" also lacks the saw on the spine. :(
Not really a "biggie" since that saw was/is intended for a cockpit canopy, and not wood.

Both my Walmart versions have the saw back on the spine and are marked 3-11 (made in March 2011). They both lack sharpened swedges and fullers. I much prefer them to the standard issue knives. BTW, you can sometimes find the Walmart ones listed for sale as 499 MOD (modified). I like them so much I am gifting one to my son who is a yound 2LT in the Air Force for Christmas!

Back