4V performance?

Now that people have been making good knives from 3V and 4V for a few years, I'm curious to hear how they stack up to each other and to the other steels out there. I was blown away by what Mr. Carothers was able to do with 3V after he optimized the HT process. My assumption is that knowledge was able to be leveraged over to 4V as well, but I don't see much on it when I search. I'm looking to make a couple of hunting knives. CPM 3V looks like a good choice, but since I don't abuse them much I'm thinking 4V would be better. I'd be using something in the 1/8" thick range (preferably a tad thinner), 4" to 5" long clip point with sharpened at 15 dps. Primary use would be filed dressing, skinning, and butchering deer. I use fillet knives for most of the boning work, so the hunting knife would just chunk it up for for the grinder.

4V is more wear resistant and has higher potential hardness at the cost of some toughness.

I'm holding out for 11V.

4V isn’t as stain/rust resistant as 3V or 10V. For a good skinning knife, I have better performance from 4V.
Keeping it sharp is not an issue.

Back