5 Woodsmen for Knives Ship Free

Andy,

I saw you had these available at KSF, and couldn't wait for the next woodsman run. Decided to pick up the ironwood woodsman.

I am sure it will be even more beautiful in person.

Matt

Andy,

Hello. I don't post here on Bladeforums often (maybe I should), but I found your knives at Knives Ship Free (great place by the way/Derrick is a great guy), and all I can say, from the pictures at least is WOW!! These looks incredible man. I've been looking around here on your forum for the last couple of hours. Nice stuff. I ordered the Woodsman in Black and Natural Canvas Micarta. One question for you, I see above, you state these are a "convex sabreground". I know convex knives very well, but what is meant by convex sabreground?

Thanks
Anthony

Andy,

I saw you had these available at KSF, and couldn't wait for the next woodsman run. Decided to pick up the ironwood woodsman.

I am sure it will be even more beautiful in person.

Matt

GREAT!! Thank you for supporting both Fiddleback Forge, and Knives Ship Free!!!

Andy,

Hello. I don't post here on Bladeforums often (maybe I should), but I found your knives at Knives Ship Free (great place by the way/Derrick is a great guy), and all I can say, from the pictures at least is WOW!! These looks incredible man. I've been looking around here on your forum for the last couple of hours. Nice stuff. I ordered the Woodsman in Black and Natural Canvas Micarta. One question for you, I see above, you state these are a "convex sabreground". I know convex knives very well, but what is meant by convex sabreground?

Thanks
Anthony

Its the same as a flat sabregrind, but done one a rotary platten, so the grind is convex. The hardest thing to accomplish on convex grinds is controling the belt as it approches the spine, and not allowing the grind to work past the spine at the plunge. This has been accomplished on convex sabregrinds. As far as cutting performance, no difference.

And now... Fiddleback Forge is at KnivesShipFree! Thanks, Andy.

This is the beginning of something great.

Indeed it is.:)

I believe it will help your bottom line, and a lot more people need to be exposed to Andy's designs and quality. After all, we can't keep him to ourselves forever -- that would be very selfish.:D;)

We are going to feature Andy in an upcoming edition of our newsletter. Probably December or January.

Andy,

Thanks for the response on the Convex Sabregrinds. Looking forward to getting the Woodsman in my hand!

ksf103_1055-vi.jpg

That birch simply rocks!!!!

I noticed the difference in size between the different bolts closest to the blade. Is there a difference functionally or mechanically besides size?

Yes. The micarta handled knives have a 5/32" dia pin. The others are a corby bolt. Thats why the knife is cheaper.

I know they are both plenty strong, but I am just curious. Is there is a reason behind putting bolts versus pins in different handle materials?

Andy,

The Woodsman arrived today. WOW. Very nice. Thanks.

My only complaint is main edge. There are secondary and tertiary bevels. A true convex would have been preferable, but as the edges are minor, I can easily smooth them out. Overall, the fit and finish are exquisite. I LOVE the rough natural top. The black liners are an unexpected surprise that is well executed. It ties the steel into the wood without standing out.

Balance is good, and while a little thicker than I would normally prefer, I am sure she will perform well in the woods and kitchen. The thickness will perfectly aid in batoning. Overall, this is a good sized knife that doesn't seem heavy or unwieldy.

I look forward to getting her into the woods.

Vino

Now to get a custom sheath made for her. I don't care for the free one that came from KSF. If anyone can use it, shoot me an email and I will send it to you free.

Just heard from someone via email and the sheath is spoken for.

Vino.

btw, I used the knife tonight for dinner prep and it did a pretty good job of handeling small cuts in onion.

I know they are both plenty strong, but I am just curious. Is there is a reason behind putting bolts versus pins in different handle materials?

Marketing, and also, one less clamp. I've never had a knife handle that was pinned come off, and I've removed one with force. Its a strong connector. The Corby's are a good marketing tool, and they allow me to use one less clamp during glueup!

Andy,

The Woodsman arrived today. WOW. Very nice. Thanks.

My only complaint is main edge. There are secondary and tertiary bevels. A true convex would have been preferable, but as the edges are minor, I can easily smooth them out. Overall, the fit and finish are exquisite. I LOVE the rough natural top. The black liners are an unexpected surprise that is well executed. It ties the steel into the wood without standing out.

Balance is good, and while a little thicker than I would normally prefer, I am sure she will perform well in the woods and kitchen. The thickness will perfectly aid in batoning. Overall, this is a good sized knife that doesn't seem heavy or unwieldy.

I look forward to getting her into the woods.

Vino

Now to get a custom sheath made for her. I don't care for the free one that came from KSF. If anyone can use it, shoot me an email and I will send it to you free.

I'm glad you like it. I prefer putting secondary bevels on my knives. The decision to go "zero" IMO is best left to, and performed by, the user. It should do really well in the kitchen. I grind them nice and thin!!

Pics!

I agree :thumbup:

It'll make it easier for this Aussie to try one of your knives :D

Kind regards
Mick

COOL!! However I get more knives to Aussies is good with me. There are a few Fiddlebacks there already!

Back