5000SBK Broke, Now What?

I have a 5000SBK that will no longer open automatically when I pull the AXIS lock bar back, like it should. I made sure nothing was impeding it, and it still has some spring tension once I manually begin opening it, but it won't open from a fully closed position.

I took it apart to clean it and make sure there was no old oil or pocket lint or dirt or anything gunking up the works (it was pretty dirty). It's super clean now and I can't seem to get it back together without the spring popping lose from the hole in the blade. I have no problems working on any of my other Benchmade AXIS folders, assisted or manual. I did notice when I first took the spring out, the most outside wrap had a bend in it. I am wondering now if this is why it won't open and why it keeps popping loose when I try to re-assemble the knife.

Any thoughts?

You can send it back to an authorized dealer for a small fee and have them send it into Benchmade for repair (unless you have the LEO crdentials to send in directly). You will more than likely have to pay for the repairs as you took it apart.

Well I did put it back together. I just can't get the spring to catch in the hole in the blade. I can send it back myself without issue. Thanks.

Well I did put it back together. I just can't get the spring to catch in the hole in the blade. I can send it back myself without issue. Thanks.

We have constitutional carry here in AZ. I'm not sure though if Benchmade would accept an auto I sent in to them, there are a whole lot of restrictive states between S. Carolina and Oregon, and a couple between AZ and Oregon. I wonder what their policy is on such things.

Well I looked around a bit and it seems if I sign the form, I can send it in. It reads sort of vague to me though. I may call them tomorrow and see what they think.

Thanks for the info!!

Well I looked around a bit and it seems if I sign the form, I can send it in. It reads sort of vague to me though. I may call them tomorrow and see what they think.

Thanks for the info!!

Please post an update about what happens. In Louisiana, we have some of the best gun laws but can't carry an auto. Go figure.

You can send it back to an authorized dealer for a small fee and have them send it into Benchmade for repair (unless you have the LEO crdentials to send in directly). You will more than likely have to pay for the repairs as you took it apart.

Not just limited to LEO. Just FYI.

Not just limited to LEO. Just FYI.

I know, but in most cases you need to be active military and have a need for the knife as part of your MOS. Some folks that sell sautos and service them cover their tails very, very well. Is my newb showing? I've owned autos for 20 years now, I know a wee bit more than my single post let on. ;)

I know, but in most cases you need to be active military and have a need for the knife as part of your MOS. Some folks that sell sautos and service them cover their tails very, very well. Is my newb showing? I've owned autos for 20 years now, I know a wee bit more than my single post let on. ;)

Man, not saying you're a new guy by any means. I am a fireman, and have sent my autos in for service, without any problems. Just throwing that out there, as some don't know that is a possibility. That said, I am not sure if all companies extend this, as I have only dealt with BM in this deal. maybe you might have some insight on this? I ask this, because I am also looking at some Protech knives right now. I would hate to throw down the dough, and not be able to get service on it. Thanks

The exceptions given in the Switchblade Act cover LEO, active military, EMS/Fire and folks who have lost the use of one arm. It also excludes those who are engaged in lawful commerce (eg a dealer). Being an active firefighter I doubt you will have issue with any manufacturer. If ever you did you just need to find a dealer who will send it back for you and receive it back for you. the law does not restrict ownership just commerce. However if you own it and don't meet the federal guidelines you broke the law by engaging in the commerce. With many states legalizing them it is a bit murky these days. It would make for an interesting legal issue if pressed. Again I am no lawyer but I have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses.

Go for the ProTech they are awesome. The hardest firing autos I have ever seen.

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the insight. Another point to consider as well, is that Texas legalized "switchblades", as of 9/1/2013. I am also glad to hear a great endorsement of the PT blades. I will certainly be looking at them soon. Take care, and have a great Christmas.

Back