5160 Heat treat - tempering

Hi all,
So the general consensus is that I should harden 5160 at 1525F for 10 mins (some people may disagree, but most people say that). What about tempering temps and times? I am aiming for 53/54 HRC?

53/54... maybe 600 F or so?

Try 400 to start, it will give you a higher hardness than you are after but you can work from there and test.

He is working on some swords. The low to mid Rc50s is a common area used in sword charts, but a harder edge with modern steels is usually fine, depending on the expected use. He wanted these to be able to take severe use and bends....basicaly a spring temper. I would start with 500F and test the blade.

He is working on some swords. The low to mid Rc50s is a common area used in sword charts, but a harder edge with modern steels is usually fine, depending on the expected use. He wanted these to be able to take severe use and bends....basicaly a spring temper. I would start with 500F and test the blade.

Thanks, but how long do I let it sit to temper for? Sorry for all the questions, just new to sword making and work with 5160.

5160 is close to the eutectoid composition so 5 min would be ok. Tempering time should be 2 hours [and more complex steel should be double or triple tempered. These would be written 2 hr, 2+2 hr or 2+2+2 hr.]
Start with 500 F for a "sword temper ".

Back