52100/5160

Does anyone know of a source other than Admiral steel for 52100 or 5160 in flat bar, in something less than 6'? The one place I found 52100 in short measurments, the price was what seemed a little outrageous. $40.68 for a 1/8"-11/2"-18" flat bar!!! Does this price seem standard? Also does anyone know if 5160 is available anywhere in flat bar in less than 1/4" thickness? Thanks

I get all my 52100 steel from Rex Walter...I think he is a cool guy to talk to on the phone, and he goes out of his way to set me up with the right stuff I need to make each knife,,,for a bit more money, he sends the steel to me already thin as I want ,,,

oh by the way,,,I once asked a knife maker who uses 52100 steel on his knives about getting it sent to me thinner that 1/4 inch, and he told me to just fire up my home-made forge and hit the bar of steel as thin as I want it...then just grind away the rest...

Sheffied KnifeMakers Supply
52100--1/8in x 1 1/2in x 36in- $10.00
5160 --1/4in x 1 1/2in x 36in- $5.00

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could find 5160 in 5/32 and 3/16. I just completed my first one which was made from 5160 by stock reduction. This is a hobby thing. Something for an old retired f*rt to entertain himself with. Have a nice day.

Originally posted by itrade
I buy mine from Ray Kirk.

http://www.rakerknives.com/

His site seems to be having trouble today. Just give him a ring.

Steve

I saw on another site, that Ray is just returning home today from the hospital. I believe he had back surgery.
That might explain the website problem.:confused:

Originally posted by DaQo'tah Forge
I get all my 52100 steel from Rex Walter...I think he is a cool guy to talk to on the phone, and he goes out of his way to set me up with the right stuff I need to make each knife,,,for a bit more money, he sends the steel to me already thin as I want ,,,

Does Rex check email? I emailed him a week or so ago asking for a quote and haven't gotten a response...not that I'm the best with email either, but does he respond or should I just use the phone?

-Darren

then just grind away the rest...
I did this with the one that I made. Takes awhile to get down to 3/16 or less.

Hello Walt. Have you tried Uncle Al at Riverside machine? He sells 5160 at reasonable prices. Five foot lengths at $15.00. He does have a website. Just do a search for Riverside machine and go to the catalog.Nice person too.

Best place I've found for 5160 is to look in the yellow pages for springs and start giving them a call. I found a place in Portland, Or. that sells 5160 for $.65 a pound for 1/4 in and bigger and $.75 for smaller down to .211 thickness.

Tony

Back