• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

52100 Paring & A-2 Hunter (both sold)

I have two knives available for sale at the moment. The first is a paring knife with a Japanese "K" tip and a unique blade grind. The body of the blade is hollow ground on an 8" wheel but the edge has a slight convex grind, especially towards the tip. This is called an "S" grind and its main function is food release, which isn't as important on a paring knife, compared to a chef's knife. But it cuts like the proverbial laser beam! The blade is also hand rubbed for a nice satin finish, and the red padauk handle was also hand rubbed. Padauk is notorious for having large pores, but they have been filled with a wet sanding technique that is used on high end gun stocks. The steel is 52100 and the heat treatment I employ really brings out the good stuff that 52100 offers. There are quite a few steps involved. Normalizing, 3x thermal cycling, DET anneal, austenitizing with soak at precise temperature, oil quench, sub zero thermal treatment, and finally 3x tempers. I left the blade on this paring knife pretty hard, as in 64-65HRC hard. Hardness is directly proportional to wear resistance, but inversely proportional to toughness. With that said, this thin hard blade has excellent edge retention. I just caution the user against torquing it into hard substrate or cutting frozen foods and the like. I consider this to be a "high performance" knife (whatever that means), and as so comes with a limitation of "hard" use. The spine has been mirror polished, which gives it a classy expensive look.

OAL: 7 3/4"
Blade: 3 5/8"
Handle: 4 1/8"
Thickness: 0.092"
Steel: 52100 64-65HRC
Edge: 30° inclusive (15° per side) 6 micron

M0YzuEV.jpg

np5JHU0.jpg

Asking price is only sold and includes a felt lined plastic edge guard and free shipping anywhere in the USA. Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). Thanks for looking! Follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second knife is a repost and price drop.

This knife is an interesting piece. The A-2 tool steel has incredible alloy banding and reminds me of wootz steel. It has been etched to show the carbide structure more visibly. The handle is made from Hawaiian Koa and has a brass guard that was hand fitted to the hidden tang. The overall design of the knife was inspired by talented makers like John Doyle and Karl Anderson. It is extremely light weight, and that was the first thing my wife and father both noticed when they picked it up. It just feels great in the hand. After hardening and tempering, the Rockwell hardness is at 61HRC, which is a nice balance of hardness and toughness for A2 steel.

OAL: 8 1/4"
Blade: 3 3/4" (plunge line to tip)
Handle: 4 1/4" (including guard)
Thickness: 0.090" (tapered to tip)
Steel: A-2 tool steel ~61HRC
Edge: 13° per side, 0.005", 0.3 micron

JTbgddJ.jpg

bcLbTrY.jpg

Asking price was sold Shipping is free and includes a custom made kydex sheath. Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). Thanks for looking! Follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

Last edited:
Payment sent. I gambled by not picking that up at $250. Can't believe it came back around.

Love the paring knife and the performance oriented heat treat Stuart. :thumbsup:

Ever hopeful if unlikely seconds on the paring knife.

Back