• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

52100 Sujihiki (Price Drop)

Stuart Davenport Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello everyone, I tried to get this posted prior to the weekend but just couldn't make it. Anyway, here is the latest knife from the bench. I have made a few of these over the past year, including one for myself and the sujihiki is just a blast to use. It's a fun word to say, as well! Sue gee hee kee. Ha! This one is made from 52100 carbon steel, which arguably has the best hardness/toughness balance of any of the low alloy steels available. It also has wear resistance right up there with the Blue steels from Japan, including Super Blue. The heat treat was done in house, including normalizing, thermal cycle, DET anneal, fast oil quench, "cryo" quench continuation, and triple tempers for a hardness of 63HRC. Probably the best heat treatment I can give it. I can just hear Donald Trump right now, "Probably the best heat treatment. Probably nobody can do a better heat treat. Not sleepy Joe, probably not even crooked Hillary. When you look at it, with all that we do to it, when you look at it, we have run the numbers, and it's probably the best. That's what they tell me." LOL!

The grind is essentially a full flat grind with some small convexity to it. It was given a hand rubbed satin blade finish, and the balance point is perfect, right at my maker's mark. The handle is claro walnut with black g10 liners and stainless steel pins, treated with Watco Danish oil and a final wax coat for extra protection. There is not much flex to this blade. It is, of course, tapered to tip, but I didn't want much flex. The edge geometry is nice and thin (you know me!), edge sharpened with ceramic waterstones. Speaking of water, all bevel grinding is done under a flood of water so as not to lose the temper.

I mentioned earlier I made one for myself and it gets used weekly. My wife and I have a tradition that goes back years, every Saturday evening we grill fajitas, and the sujihiki gets all the luck and slices up the flank steak once done. Y'all have to come over some Saturday evening! If you're looking for a really nice slicer for the upcoming holiday season, you have come to the right place!

OAL: 13"
Blade: 9"
Handle: 4"
Thickness: 0.075" taper to tip
Steel: 52100 63HRC
Handle material: Claro walnut with black g10 liners, SS pins
Edge: 12° per side, 3 micron (edge has yet to be put on, but it will be around 11°-13°)
Price: sold, includes plastic edge protector

IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0222.jpg

Paypall preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). All knives come with free shipping in the USA as well as a lifetime unconditional warranty. Something goes wrong, the knife gets repaired or replaced. I ask that the buyer be aware that most all of my knives are cutting tools and are made only for their intended use. I like to make thin, hard knives that excel at cutting and not necessarily able to take abuse. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me here or contact me by email (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). Thanks for taking a look, and follow me on Instagram at stuartalandavenport.

Last edited:
Back