580-2 Barrage oppinions?

Hi,

I have limited choices from a vendor for which I have a credit. So far, the 580-2 (full size g10 barrage) seems like my best option.

For those who are familiar with this model, what are your thoughts? Will it hold up to hard use? Is the assist more of a gimmick, or is it a reliable system?

Thanks!

I have the 581 Barrage. Very similar except for the M390 blade & aluminum bolsters.
Although I prefer it de-assisted, the assist is reliable and works fine. With a very satisfying "THWACK!" when it opens. It's very difficult to close one handed. Which to me ruins the fidget-ability of having an Axis lock. Hence, my de-assisting it.

It is by far my go to production folder for EDC. I prefer it over the 940, Grip, Mini Grip, ParaMilitary 2, Delica, Endura, Cut Jack.
I have been quite hard on it too. I've used it for even some light batoning (.5" thick branches) during a camping trip.

All in all the Barrage is a very underrated knife.
I say buy with confidence.

Hard use knife? Yes
Gimmick? No
Reliable system? Yes
I recommend going for it.
The barrage blade snaps open with force, I have never had any of Benchmades assisted openers to give me trouble. This includes the Boost, 3 Barrages ( Including the G10 model), and the Volli.

I just rcvd a Custom 583 murdered out M4 Barrage and I believe the price was over $250US. It's my first Benchmade folder. It feels like a hard use knife. It's just a tad heavier than I expected and imparts a feeling of US American Made to it. It is not as heavy as any of my Hinderers but it is heavier than a ZT of comparable size. The blade does snap open with some force. The lock mechanism on the top of the knife and the mechanism for the Axis Lock are a little stiff. Going to have to use the knife for a while to get it buttery smooth. Fit and Finish on the knife are excellent.

So far I'm satisfied. I'll buy another in this series probably, a spear point. Also looking at the full size Griptillian in 20CV.

I have the 580, was my first "good" knife 8 or 10 years ago. It has been a great knife, has survived a lot and continues to be carried often on the farm. I'm considering a mini barrage with M4 as my next knife.

I agree the unassisted Axis folders are easier to close. I’ve become very accustomed to closing knives such as assisted models by releasing the lock and folding the blade against my leg or hip somewhere, happens all in one smooth motion now. Takes some awareness of the edge vs spine but it feels natural to me.

I have the 581 Barrage. Very similar except for the M390 blade & aluminum bolsters.
Although I prefer it de-assisted, the assist is reliable and works fine. With a very satisfying "THWACK!" when it opens. It's very difficult to close one handed. Which to me ruins the fidget-ability of having an Axis lock. Hence, my de-assisting it.

It is by far my go to production folder for EDC. I prefer it over the 940, Grip, Mini Grip, ParaMilitary 2, Delica, Endura, Cut Jack.
I have been quite hard on it too. I've used it for even some light batoning (.5" thick branches) during a camping trip.

All in all the Barrage is a very underrated knife.
I say buy with confidence.

I also have the 581,deassisted. Much easier to close and to control the opening. Has always had a bit of lock rock. Nice slicing blade with m390 steel. The handle has always seemed a bit too heavy for a blade this size. The overall ergonomics are only fair as the hand position on the handle is not great. It doesnt compare with the PM2 ot Endura for edc. I even prefer my Griptilian for edc. Unless you really want an assisted knife, look at something else.

I have the 580(large)....been great over last 5 Year’s of hard use daily work/carry. I love the assist, the handles are durable and proportionate to blade size....it is a good size knife that has booted my endura wave to the curb. I will buy another to supplant this one years down the road. Most complaints I’ve read were trouble with the assist, and some folks don’t like the handle material....I have found mine to be utterly reliable and durable-as good as a 950 rift and bone collector 10520 that I have...love all 3 but usually reach for my barrage....good luck!

Last edited:
Last year, I bought a well used 580 (super cheap) that was from hell and back. I took it all apart and cleaned it. Other than the blade (looked like he tried to sharpen it with a weed wacker) it was just fine, very dirty, but fine nonetheless. I properly sharpened up the edge and it doesn't appear to have been harmed at all. Bernchmade just sent me all new screws along with a couple deep carry clips.

Even though I don't carry it too often as I am not a fan of AO, it really is a fine knife. A word of warning though, hold on tight when you open it or it will take off and probably stab something important.

Back