5ft 6in vs 6ft 4in

As an Asian, I always consider it a serious disadvantage for an Asian man to have a confrontation with a non-Asian of immense physical proportions.

Friends who live in America have told me that the size of some of their American counterparts is short of awesome.

Let's suppose you are accosted by two of such guys, and you are 5ft 6in, or worse, 5ft-nothing. The two unfriendly chaps decide to take your wallet and rough you up just for the heck of it.

How do you intend to defend yourself in the face of such physical odds? Martial arts has its limitations. Sometimes it is difficult to run when you are cornered.

What's plan B? Or will you be conscious enough after the incident to remember the entire sad event?

golok-

You ask the most interesting questions! :) I am a very small Caucasian man (short and thin) and I have friends that large. I was just thinking about the very same thing recently........

A few days ago I was just goofing around with one of them, and I was shocked at the effect THAT much mass can have on somone of my size. He was able to move me with NO effort on his part whatsoever. Granted, I am quite a bit faster than he is, but in close quarters, or if the individual in question is blocking the exit, then this seems like a small advantage.....

I have a feeling that if TWO individuals of such size decided to take a small guy's wallet AND rough him up "for the heck of it," he might not SURVIVE the encounter. I'm not sure if legally that is a cause for escalation of force, but I don't see how escape, much less survival is possible without it.........

I look forward to reading the answers to this one.

The way I view it, few things are really a disadvantage, as far as physical attributes. Just a different advantage. For instance, I'm tall, and muscular, but still quite thin. I tend to use this to my advantage, as I can really reach out and touch someone when they may not be able to do the same to me. My long reach allows a few good finger jabs, and some straight punches into closer range.

At the same time, work on your disadvantages. I know you really can't make yourself taller, but you can make yourself bigger/stronger. For instance, I may weigh less than mostly anyone my height, but I also know I am far stronger than I used to be, or most people with a smaller build.

Plus, this is why weapons were invented. With few exceptions, no one is knife-proof.

My two cents,
Joe S.

I don't think being Asian has much to do with it...I'm Asian and only about 5' 10", 175 pounds, and am average to just under average...I know Asians that are big men, including relatives. And I know a lot of white and black guys that are smaller than me. If you're small you have to be dirty and completely ruthless. Have you ever seen a relatively tiny badger scare off a grizzly bear? It makes you very hard for someone else to control, because your mindset can make all the difference.

On the other hand, I worry more when I see a group of 5'3" gangbangers skulking around than a huge 6'5", 250-pound football player, because I'd be more likely to face a firearm pulled, or a mass sneak rush attack. Not that size can't be an advantage...it surely can! But there are other factors as well.
Jim

I'm not 5-6, but the scenario of being confronted by even one Tank Abbot is the main reason I carry two knives. I wouldn't be overly concerned against two gorgons with no training, a couple of school bullies whove been getting by on intimidation. I have a good chance of being first with guys like that, but against two spawns of hell who have spent half their lives cooling their heals in the state facility lifting weights and practicing fighting dirty...well, the only reason I carry two knives is that I cannot get a permit to carry two pistols.

Height doesn't make as big of difference as people
think. My brother is a little guy and I have witnessed
him whip many a man twice is size, no martial arts
or weapons needed, he's just a one mean s.o.b. Use
your size to your advantage, many big men underestamate
people and think they can just walk into a room and
make people tremble. All I can tell you is be confindent
in yourself , and don't let people bother you, know matter
how big they are, and just make sure you are ten times
meaner and more determined than the other guy, no need
to knife anybody unless they draw on you first, besides
even if you get whipped, you'll feel better about yourself.

Back