6", G-10, Ti Lite arrived today! Bittersweet.........

mwhich50

Gold Member
I was very excited about receiving my limited edition Ti-Lite for a stupidly low price. I didn't even know for sure which size it would be, due the model number not matching the blade length. I have a 6 inch aluminum handled one to compare with. The G-10 version is noticeably lighter, and the distal end of the blade looks slightly thinner. It has the same great deployment as the aluminum version. The aluminum version is heavy enough to double as a small baton, but the G-10 version...not so much. There is only one liner, on the lock bar side of the G-10 model. The G-10 is attractive, and has low roughness. It provides much more traction than the aluminum handled model. The holes in the G-10 handle are a little sharp which provides most of the traction. It came pretty sharp. Sorry....no pics.

Now for the not so good news. I purchased my Ti-Lite from a reputable 'big box' .com store that we all know. Like Amazon they move goods from thousands of smaller stores. Anyhow, one of the pitfalls appears to be that they may be reselling returned/damaged knives for a discounted price, but failing to mention the damaged/returned part. My knife has a cosmetically damaged, but functional lock bar. Some of the lock bar jimping is rubbed off, and the lip looks slightly bent. The adjacent G-10 looks perfect?? The pivot screw may have a little wear, but I could be wrong. I'll bet a previous customer took it apart to bend the lock bar. I have heard others complain about a tight lock bar on this model. The rest of the knife is perfect except for a very small rub, and a tiny scratch on one side of the blade.

I don't see any markings that would indicate that this is a factory 'second'. I was thinking of sending it to Cold Steel to see if they could replace the lock bar for free, or for a reasonable fee. It is a limited edition. I was really wanting to make this a fondler, only. :(

I was also thinking maybe I "got what I paid for", and I should suck it up, and put it in my rotation. :confused:

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. :eek:

Last edited:
Yes, that is incredibly cheap for that model. Maybe you could exchange it and see if the second one comes back with similar issues.

Yes, that is incredibly cheap for that model. Maybe you could exchange it and see if the second one comes back with similar issues.

$77? I can't imagine they would intentionally sell a NIB for this price, but I sent an email, and asked anyhow. They did not disclose the damage, and the baggie was not sealed. I have had at least 50 CS products, but have never seen a factory flaw like this. Maybe I will get lucky with the store. If not, maybe Cold Steel will replace the Lock bar for me. The lock bar looks like it, and the liner are one piece.

If not, maybe Cold Steel will replace the Lock bar for me. The lock bar looks like it, and the liner are one piece.

They are one piece, so it's not something that would be repaired with spare parts.

image.jpg2_zpsdyc3b2di.jpg

image.jpg1_zpslgwsh1cg.jpg

I've never had a new-in-box Cold Steel knife arrive damaged. You were sold a damaged/returned item. I can't see that your issue has anything to do with Cold Steel, but everything to do with the seller. If you believe you were deceived or ripped off, get a refund or exchange. You definitely cannot get a 26AGSTX for $77 anywhere, however, so it's pretty much up to you to decide if you got your money's worth. As long as the knife is functional, I vote for keeping it and making it a user.

-Steve

If you can afford to buy another one, it might be worthwhile to keep your current one as a user/beater, considering the super low price, and then purchase another as a fondler.

They are one piece, so it's not something that would be repaired with spare parts.

I've never had a new-in-box Cold Steel knife arrive damaged. You were sold a damaged/returned item. I can't see that your issue has anything to do with Cold Steel, but everything to do with the seller. If you believe you were deceived or ripped off, get a refund or exchange. You definitely cannot get a 26AGSTX for $77 anywhere, however, so it's pretty much up to you to decide if you got your money's worth. As long as the knife is functional, I vote for keeping it and making it a user.

-Steve

Yeah, I see what you saying. It will be a major repair. I really do want to get some input from the dealer, and then Cold Steel. It may be worth the postage to have CS look at the damage to make sure it is still safe.
I already got a screaming deal on a mint, 6 in, aluminum from Knifecenter. We will see. Thanks for the great input.

Last edited:
If you can afford to buy another one, it might be worthwhile to keep your current one as a user/beater, considering the super low price, and then purchase another as a fondler.
The company claims that they don't sell used/damaged knives. I have been sent a return shipping label with no promise of a new replacement knife. I sent it out. I hope they send a new knife this time.

Last edited:
I received my replacement Ti-Lite today, and it is in mint condition! I'm pretty shocked that it worked out. What a deal!

Back