7-31 Update!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I worked on these Bushcraft Knife sheaths for most of the day and managed to also get some steel cut for later projects... sanding too!

Sheaths - just wet sanded and triple washed

I milled a slot into two of the sheaths to try something different. :D

A2 Machete and Kogotana!

The machete is huge, 2.5" tall (that's tall!) and 18" long! :eek: :cool: It's 3/32" thick.

The kogotana is sort of a Samurai's EDC, they were traditionally carried in the sheath (Saya) of a sword. It is made from 1/8" thick A2 and I have more than one!

Sanding a kitchen knife! This one is a Nigiri spin off, it is for clean, precise cutting.

The blade has a Ura or hollow back bevel. The bevel is centered in the middle of the knife and aids in nearly friction free slicing. They are easy to sharpen because of this, the blade is flat around this side, a few passes on a stone with the knife layed flat is all it takes to bring back a razor sharp edge.

This is one of the toughest grinds I have done and so far I'm very happy with it! I tested it and it cuts like a scalpel, the ura makes the edge feel like it is free floating... impossible to describe but I'm happy with it!

Ura side - I'll sand the outer edges flat again when I sharpen it...

I'm liking that kitchen knife.

Thanks!

I have decided to devote some serous focus to the kitchen knives. That one is O1 and I'm using 52100 for most, I have 12' in for more and am working on refining my patterns.

I'm doing a few more with flared tube but will probably move to small corby bolts and mix in some traditional handle materials. I feel the kitchen knives are as much of a challenge as anything and I enjoy pushing each one to perfection.

Nice stuff!

Im really interested in those kogotana's? I absolutely love small Japanese styled knives kinda like Hobacks little Kwaiken fixed blade. I cant wait to see those!

Dibs.

Edit: Those sheaths look really nice how they come up a bit and wrap around. Are they all tight and seemed up at the neck? CLOSER PIC WITH KNIFEY PLEASE

;D

Nice stuff!

Im really interested in those kogotana's? I absolutely love small Japanese styled knives kinda like Hobacks little Kwaiken fixed blade. I cant wait to see those!

Thanks!

I have been looking at traditional kogotanas for months now, I find them intriguing. I'll do at least one with some sort of traditional mounting... maybe even a box as a "Saya" if that makes sense. I have considered everything from smelting my own shibuichi to a carbon fiber mounting.

I may do G10 and pins too...

Dibs.

Edit: Those sheaths look really nice how they come up a bit and wrap around. Are they all tight and seemed up at the neck? CLOSER PIC WITH KNIFEY PLEASE

;D

Thanks! They will be click in style sheaths... tight on the neck but not so much that the knife is hard to push in.

I just got in some new sheath foam a second ago by the way, it looks good! I have been using the blue camping mats, this neoprene shows great promise.\

Pics with knives tomorrow, I also got in my sheath washers so these are ready to go!

Intrigued by the machete, that's a two hander for most folks..... but the kitchen knife is really looking good. Do more!

Intrigued by the machete, that's a two hander for most folks..... but the kitchen knife is really looking good. Do more!

The machete has a lot of power but isn't too much to swing at .093" thick, the dropped handle makes it feel like an extension of the hand.

I like sort of a "bomb" shape, the TiBOK had it and some upcoming knives will... this one is big, I call it the Zeppelin! :D

I'm keeping on the kitchen knives, right now I want to keep the above Nigiri pattern along with a Chef's Knife (Gyuto) and slicer (Yanagi Ba).

Ummmmm....Bushcraft!

I'm working on pics, just in to post a teaser while I work on the rest! :cool:

Rock on Daniel!!:thumbup:

You too Sir! :D

These are ready to go, photos are next!

Perfect!! ^

Thanks Rolf!

By the way I'm doing lots of A2 heat treating later next week! If I can find A2 it is being profiled and ht'd.

I'm trying to heat treat larger batches of the same steel at a time.

I'm only going to finish a few of them at the moment but 1/16" Tantos are in the mix. Your design! :cool:

Daniel- You are improving your system. Thata boy.
Thanks man. I'll be watching.

Back