$7 4-knives

I went to the flea market after lunch today. I found 3 drawknives, $3 for the one with handels and 2 for $2 without handels. I also found what looks to be a old kitchen knife that was made out of an old sawblade for $1.

I think I did well. They are all pretty old forging marks become apparant towards the handles of the drawknives, and the knife is well pitted.

I plan on keeping everything as is for now, I have no room for stock removal in my tiny apt, but man do they look cool on my wall. :D

Maybe one day I will put'em back to work...

Dawi I have an old draw knife that I also found at a flea market. They're hard to beat, good steel and excellent craftsmanship.

Interestingly there's an old timers trick that our wood shop teacher showed us many years ago in keeping the edge super keen on a drawknife. Very difficult to learn correctly, much more so than a chakma, but similar.
A super hard piece of steel with one exactly square edge is drawn across the edge at the original angle of the drawknife. A tiny, tiny bit of steel is removed all the way across leaving a burr on the flat side of the drawknife.
Then using the same sharp edged steel the burr on the drawknife is carefully removed leaving a perfectly sharp edge that has a bit of a bite when a finger or thumb is drawn very, very carefully along the edge.
This edge doesn't leave a perfectly smooth finish but it seems to last forever if cared for.
This method of sharpening probably explains the narrow blades so many of the drawknifes have in the flea markets.

Good stuff and thanks. You can find some real bargains IF you know what you are looking for -- just like handle material.

Back