7 inch Mini Khukuri Review

Just received a 7 inch khukuri that has a left handed western leather sheath. This particular khukuri was forged by Mahesh BishwaKarma as it has the crescent moon mark on the blade. I’d like to thank him for his work, as well as anyone else who helped out with the forging process or sheath making. The packaging was very secure, and the knife and sheath look great. I went with the standard options of a satin blade finish, Indian rosewood handle, and steel hardware. It arrived with the blade and rosewood handle already oiled, but somewhere along shipping the blade picked up some light surface rust. I was able to clean most of it off with a paper towel, but it isn’t a huge issue since will be used in the Southeastern U.S. where it will be exposed to high humidity often and will require frequent cleaning and oiling anyways.

I did a few quick tests as well, first shaving cardboard, cutting a 2X4 wooden board, and then cutting through an old water hose. The blade is extremely sharp and cut through the hose cleanly and easily even after hacking through wood. The handle is comfortable and fits my hand well (I got the 4.25” medium handle option). This smaller sized khukuri will be used often, and I got it so that I could bring it into the woods hiking, on fishing trips, and for use potentially skinning/processing anything during hunting season without having a knife that was too large for general use. A khukuri this size would even serve as an effective self defense tool if needed. It has enough backbone and weight to chop effectively, and I will probably return to give a more in depth review after I’ve actually used it for a while to provide details on how the edge holds up, sharpens, and anything else.

The sheath is the Western Leather option on their website, and is made out of brown leather as I requested in the order. I chose this since it was advertised as more durable than the traditional dap, and because I have experience with western leather sheaths on the knives I already own and they work great.
I removed the ring off the top of the sheath since I have no use for it, but I can definitely see where it would be useful for anyone who travels on horseback. If needed I can always put it back on, but for now I will leave it off. The sheath appears solid, and I appreciate that customers are able to request custom colors aside from the standard black leather. The buttons are solid and secure the khukuri nicely, and there is no fear of having it come loose at any point. As with the khukuri itself I will leave a more detailed review of how the sheath holds up after I have taken it out a few times.

For anybody on the fence about purchasing from Kailash I would definitely recommend ordering from them. This khukuri is well built, looks good, and was extremely affordable, especially given the high quality of the finished product. To have someone in the U.S. create a knife like this would cost a lot more, and it would most likely not be forged by someone with any connection or in depth knowledge of these knives. The khukuri originated in Nepal, and I believe it is important to help support the craftsmen who are still creating traditional weapons and tools largely the same way they have always been built. The wait time was accurate, and I received the khukuri exactly one week after being informed that it was completed. Thanks again to the people at Kailash that made this happen. I would add photos but I am new to this website and have no idea how to. You can see the khukuri and sheath on their instagram post from June 27, 2023 though.

Hey there Daltong!
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear that the knife has made a good first impression.
Sorry to hear about the rusting- this is something we put a lot of effort into trying to and we'd seen good results in the last year. We'll look into increasing our efforts and check if the same processes are still in place.
It's great to see the brown leather being used- I wasn't aware that we had access to this actually!
It would be great to hear your thoughts on the edge retention and utlity further down the line also :)
Thanks again,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

I pasted the photo for you from Kailash's Instagram. The Mini is an interesting knife. I ordered one in 9" wanting to replace a Cold Steel 7.5" Recon Scout I'd traded off years ago. I carried it mostly when bow hunting and miss it now, even though at 75 and home with my bedridden wife, they don't get used as much. I've used mine out in the back yard. It was handy when I needed to trim back some low hanging Black Walnut branches that were touching a shed. Just pull them down and the Mini makes short work of them and felt good in the hand. I also did some chopping with it on limbs that were already down. It cuts deep and is easy to control, but a longer Khukuri is really better for this job and is easier to control, as when it was compared to my 11.5 HSI. Makes me want to try a 13".

Let us know how yours is working out for you now that you've spent more time with it.

I pasted the photo for you from Kailash's Instagram. The Mini is an interesting knife. I ordered one in 9" wanting to replace a Cold Steel 7.5" Recon Scout I'd traded off years ago. I carried it mostly when bow hunting and miss it now, even though at 75 and home with my bedridden wife, they don't get used as much. I've used mine out in the back yard. It was handy when I needed to trim back some low hanging Black Walnut branches that were touching a shed. Just pull them down and the Mini makes short work of them and felt good in the hand. I also did some chopping with it on limbs that were already down. It cuts deep and is easy to control, but a longer Khukuri is really better for this job and is easier to control, as when it was compared to my 11.5 HSI. Makes me want to try a 13".

Let us know how yours is working out for you now that you've spent more time with it.
Thanks for adding the photo for me, it’s held up nicely but I still haven’t taken on anything too serious with it yet. I’ve used it for light cutting in the yard and chopping up food for my turtles, and it has done great. Already has a decent patina forming and I don’t have to worry about rust too much even in Florida’s high humidity. It’s pretty hot right now so I haven’t been hiking long distances and getting in situations where I would be using the khukuri. In the fall/winter I should be camping and hunting more so it will definitely see a lot more use in the near future. I agree that a longer khukuri would be better for chopping, but so far I really like the versatility of the 7 inch. I honestly might order a larger one some time though because I’ve enjoyed this one and I’ve only had it for a little over a month. I’ll also probably create another post towards the end of the year to give a more detailed review of my experiences with the khukuri after I’ve tried it out chopping firewood and skinning/processing deer.

I also think they would be great for a hunter to have to cut those branches that are always obstructing your firing lane. That is what I used my 7.5" Recon Scout for and really, these minis are probably better choppers without the added weight and length of the larger ones. It just may take a bit longer to get through a branch.

I noticed you ordered the wood handle. I almost did but had one with stacked leather and for the mini, I paid a bit more for them to hand pick a nicely colored piece of horn. But if I'd gone with wood, I planned to hand rub some tung oil into it. I highly recommend Corey's Amazing Tung Oil. It is "40% pure (polymerized) Tung Oil, enhanced with organic Brazilian Gum Rosin and food grade Citrus Oil." I've used it on many kitchen knife handles I've livened up and it gives a nice warm look to them as well as a decent tung oil finish. So many products that list tung oil, barely if even add any to their finish. The tung oil dries nicely since it is cut with a pleasant smelling citris oil that won't stink up the house like most finishes do. Anyway, here's hoping we both enjoy our new Khukuris.

Thanks for adding the photo for me, it’s held up nicely but I still haven’t taken on anything too serious with it yet. I’ve used it for light cutting in the yard and chopping up food for my turtles, and it has done great. Already has a decent patina forming and I don’t have to worry about rust too much even in Florida’s high humidity. It’s pretty hot right now so I haven’t been hiking long distances and getting in situations where I would be using the khukuri. In the fall/winter I should be camping and hunting more so it will definitely see a lot more use in the near future. I agree that a longer khukuri would be better for chopping, but so far I really like the versatility of the 7 inch. I honestly might order a larger one some time though because I’ve enjoyed this one and I’ve only had it for a little over a month. I’ll also probably create another post towards the end of the year to give a more detailed review of my experiences with the khukuri after I’ve tried it out chopping firewood and skinning/processing deer.
I had to bring this thread back to the top. I have nearly the same mini on order, with the only exceptions being mine will have copper hardware and a right hand, brown western sheath. Your's looks great and makes me even more eager to receive mine, It's a beautiful khukuri. I just received my first khukuri from Kailash a few days ago - actually my first khukuri ever, and I couldn't be happier with it. Hopefully our rain will clear out soon and I can give it (and my Mini, when it arrives) a thorough workout.
Jack

Ive never really given any thought to a mini khukuri and probably wont ever buy one , but I have to say especially with the brown leather sheath , that looks like one solid piece of kit , made to last .

I liked the rounded shape of the blade. Maybe it reminded me of a mini Mk1. I went with the 9" and because I wanted a finger guard, Andrew suggested a 7mm spine to help balance the added weight of the brass guard. I like how it came out, I just wish I'd ordered it in a large handle instead of the medium like my HSI. I wasn't thinking.https://postimg.cc/delete/stTXfcXd/1f7b8a4d

keyboardchecker

Last edited:
That's a beauty Grizzly, great figure in the horn as well. I'm planning on using my 7" as a replacement for my old large fixed blade, an original Gerber LMF (roughly 6" to 7" fixed blade). I used that knife for everything from a woods knife to cleaning trout until I slipped and damaged the edge on a concrete block. Plus, I was still learning to fine tune my sharpening skills and over ground some of the edge.

One of the things I like about khukuris is that they seem to handle like smaller western blades. I don't know if it's because Kailash Blades uses double distal tapers and hollow grinding or fullering to keep the overall weights lower, or if it's because the khukuri form involves strong angles or curved blades like the hanshee style blades to redirect the length of the blades, but they seem to carry and handle like more compact forms - while still maintaining the efficiency of larger blades. Maybe it's just me and I'm over thinking it 😉.

Back