7" Mini & MK-1 order updates.

I received the first update on my MK-1 order a few days ago from Bisnu Thapa. This morning he sent me another update on it and then he was nice enough to update me on the 7" Mini I ordered a while back. So, here are the pictures I've gotten so far, starting with the MK-1:

After forging:

After Heat treat and temper:

Now for the 7" Mini:

https://imgur.com/GNydyl2

From this stage the Mini is headed to Bisnu for QC and any touch ups if needed, then it'll be ready for packaging and shipping. I wasn't sure how the copper fittings would look with rosewood but... holy crap, it's GORGEOUS! This one has Mandip Rasaili's maker's mark and to say I'm pleased is very much understanding it. The traditional dap is crafted by Sisir Mangrati and the Kydex sheath by "Siru" Karki, both pieces look great and I have no doubt the entire package will hold up to whatever I may need it for.

As much as I enjoy my Angkhola Ek Chirra, there's something special about the smooth flowing curves of both the MK-1 and the Mini. It makes me really want a Salyani, even though I have no practical "need" for one. If the Pensioner and Mutiny had the same continuous flow along the spines, I'd probably be scraping up enough cash to order both of them - and, to be honest, I probably will eventually anyway, along with a Sirupate.

I'm really curious, does anyone ever order just one khukuri and stop there?
Jack

edit: I'm not sure why the second photo of the Mini isn't showing up, but it's the same pic rotated 90°.

Last edited:
Nice pics! I'm a big fan of copper too and am surprised that more makers in Nepal don't offer it. Usually there is a material supply or technical issue, but it can be shaped and welded with the same techniques as brass and is readily available for gas piping and whatnot in good thicknesses. I feel like it looks good with just about everything and ages super nicely too if you let it.

My 7" Mini was delivered last week on 4/22. I apologize for the delayed review, between the bad weather and demands of family, I haven't had the chance to get pics yet, hopefully I'll be able to do that next week when I'm back home. I'm currently at my mom's house, helping her out with a few things. I did manage to get out and cut back some small brush that's come up around her yard. With small, finger sized saplings that have come up, I was chopping through them in single swipes with mo effort. Not a difficult test but encouraging so far.

The fit, finish and build quality are even better than I expected based on the pics from Bisnu. The khukuri itself is unbelievably lightweight for a knife this size and that makes it quick and responsive during use while effortless to carry. The entire edge will shave arm hair and the 4¼" medium handle fits my 4¼" wide hand perfectly and comfortably, I was concerned it would feel too restrictive but it's great and the grip ring sits exactly where it's supposed to, giving a comfortable and secure, "two & two" grip. The copper hardware looks great with the dark rosewood handle, I'm glad I chose this configuration. Honestly, this feels like I'm wielding (and carrying) a much smaller knife, like a 4" western style but it performs like an 8" or 9" blade during use. Mandip really made the perfect belt knife for my needs and I couldn't be happier with it. I can see why KB recommends the 7" as the optimal size in the Mini.

The traditional dap is just as impressive: fit and retention is perfect and the draw is smooth and easy. Again, fit and finish couldn't be better. Sisir does outstanding work and I highly recommend adding a dap to any khukuri order, even if just for display. Considering the price, it's a steal for the quality of work he's producing.

The kydex sheath also turned out perfectly. Excellent fit and finish and the retention is even better than the kydex for my Ek Chirra, while the draw is effortless with good technique. I don't have any concerns about the khukuri getting pulled loose when working through brush in the woods on the property. Again, Siru does great work and it's well worth the cost for a weatherproof carry option.

I'd like to thank everyone for this order, this is the khukuri that'll get used the most and I couldn't be happier with the entire order.
Jack

Nice!
Glad to hear the Mini was a winner too. I think that a lot of people view a second sheath as a bit of a luxury but having a traditional dap along with a more rugged modern option is really nice and not that expensive. It can make carrying a blade a fresh and interesting experience and can suit different settings better. It's kind of like getting a new haircut :)
I've sent this through to the guys- I'm due they'll love to hear the work has been well received.

Thanks Andrew, everyone at Kailash Blades (including yourself) has gone well beyond the level of service and craftsmanship I'd hoped for when I placed my orders.

Your advice has been instrumental in dialing in which models and configurations will perform the way I need them to, and each order helps me decide what I want next.
Jack

I got another update from Bisnu this morning, the dap and western sheath are finished and my MK-1 is heading to Bisnu for detailing and final QC:

This has Bikram's maker's mark, the Sun. I didn't request any particular smith with any of my orders, but I feel very fortunate that with this khukuri I'll have examples from each of the three talented smiths at Kailash Blades.

I'll be heading back home tomorrow so, hopefully when this one's delivered, I'll be able to get decent pics of my Ek Chirra, Mini and the MK-1 out in the woods.

I can't remember the last time I was this consistently pleased with the products and service of a company. Everyone at Kailash Blades has gone so far above and beyond the level of quality and service that I would've been satisfied with, that I really can't see myself ordering a khukuri (or custom blade) from anyone else.

My thanks to Bikram, Sisir, Andrew, Bisnu and everyone else at Kailash Blades for yet another great khukuri and outstanding customer service.
Jack

I got another update from Bisnu this morning, the dap and western sheath are finished and my MK-1 is heading to Bisnu for detailing and final QC:

This has Bikram's maker's mark, the Sun. I didn't request any particular smith with any of my orders, but I feel very fortunate that with this khukuri I'll have examples from each of the three talented smiths at Kailash Blades.

I'll be heading back home tomorrow so, hopefully when this one's delivered, I'll be able to get decent pics of my Ek Chirra, Mini and the MK-1 out in the woods.

I can't remember the last time I was this consistently pleased with the products and service of a company. Everyone at Kailash Blades has gone so far above and beyond the level of quality and service that I would've been satisfied with, that I really can't see myself ordering a khukuri (or custom blade) from anyone else.

My thanks to Bikram, Sisir, Andrew, Bisnu and everyone else at Kailash Blades for yet another great khukuri and outstanding customer service.
Jack

Very clean. How much did it run you?

Using the default options, plus military dap (8 USD), and an additional western sheath (35 USD), it was 180 USD, plus 47 USD shipping to Nashville, TN: 227 USD delivered

Jack
That looks real quality Crusty_ Otter , just received my first Kailash and am well pleased .

The guys are loving the positive feedback. I don't know if I've made it clear but we have a group chat where I share this kind of stuff as well as problems customers are having. Every week Bisnu reads it out into nepalese for the team so they know their work is being appreciated and what opportunities there are for us to work on.

The guys are loving the positive feedback. I don't know if I've made it clear but we have a group chat where I share this kind of stuff as well as problems customers are having. Every week Bisnu reads it out into nepalese for the team so they know their work is being appreciated and what opportunities there are for us to work on.
Thanks Andrew, I'm happy everyone there knows how much their hard work, talent and skills are appreciated. I'm sure there's also a lot of hard work and stress involved in the supporting roles within the shop as well. The stuff most of us never hear about, like; Engineering and design work, streamlining production, coordinating workflow, securing raw materials and all of the accounting and financial management type of concerns that go largely unseen but are so crucial to running a successful business. The guys who work so hard to make the finished products are indeed appreciated, but so are those of you taking care of business demands so the guys CAN keep making these great khukuri, daps and sheaths
Jack

Thanks Andrew, I'm happy everyone there knows how much their hard work, talent and skills are appreciated. I'm sure there's also a lot of hard work and stress involved in the supporting roles within the shop as well. The stuff most of us never hear about, like; Engineering and design work, streamlining production, coordinating workflow, securing raw materials and all of the accounting and financial management type of concerns that go largely unseen but are so crucial to running a successful business. The guys who work so hard to make the finished products are indeed appreciated, but so are those of you taking care of business demands so the guys CAN keep making these great khukuri, daps and sheaths
Jack
Yep agreed CO , it never ceases to amaze me when watching videos of those Nepalese blacksmiths forging and hammering a khukuri into shape then all the finishing off process like making and fitting the hardware , grinding , scabbard making etc etc to produce the finished product . Its almost like stepping back a few hundred years watching artisans make their wares using the most basic of tools and using their sweat , skills and knowledge in producing a well made and robust khukuri . Hats off to you guys !

It's a team effort for sure- lots of good stuff happening from everyone on the squad. Despite these roles being not as interesting there's a lot of cool aspects to trying to get them done in Nepal. For example Radhe getting materials means riding to a huge many hundred year old market called Asan Tol, navigating the labyrinth of stalls to find the right guy who's got the right stuff. Sometimes he has to make trips to remote villages to get horn or head to the indian border. Maybe we'll make a little video covering these portions of our operations in future.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

A video would be great, especially Radhe searching out materials. I'd be interested to see the types of khukuri various Nepali natives use for different tasks as well. I keep thinking, a Salyani could make an interesting sickle for harvesting grain.

Quick update:
My MK-1 was delivered Monday afternoon, and it's beautiful. I really wanted to get outdoor pics of all three but the weather hasn't been cooperating. We're under a tornado warning right now, several on the ground west of us and heading this general direction - typical Spring in middle Tennessee. They say the worst of the weather should get here around 10pm - very inconsiderate 🙄.

Anyway...
The MK-1 is definitely a substantial blade, the handle is very comfortable and secure in my hands, if slightly large in diameter for my medium sized hands - very much usable though and I have no concerns about my hand sliding up on the blade during use.

All three of my khukuri: Angkhola Ek Chirra (forged by Mahesh), 7" Mini (forged by Mandip), and MK-1 (forged by Bikram) have turned out better than I could've hoped for and I honestly can't pick a favorite. Each is an excellent blade, each will get used extensively and I'm very happy with my choices (I plan to order others as funds allow). Originally I thought I'd order one model from Kailash Blades, then one from KHHI. That's no longer going to happen, Kailash Blades will get all of my khukuri orders, they're simply that good.

Eventually the weather will cooperate and I'll get some decent pics posted, as well as decent reviews when I can really put them to use.

My thanks to everyone at Kailash Blades for making my khukuri, daps and sheaths, as well as for keeping me informed along the way and helping me decide which models would suit my needs best. You've each done phenominal work.
Namaste

d60da5b7494b2239321c444ea35ba1db.gif

Sounds like a home run to me!
Sorry to hear about this tornado weather- scary stuff. There's a lot of trash talked about the spiders/snakes down here but we're a pretty safe continent for earthquakes, floods, volcanoes, landslides, avalanches, tornados and hurricanes. Bushfires not so much!
I agree with you on the MK1 handle- it has quite a broad bolster and is overall just very chunky. It's historically accurate though- I've read that at the time the handles were regarded as "a handful" also.
It's nice to hear that you've got a blade from each smith to get a gauge of what everyone is doing. Some customers will get one knife and love it so request that smith for future orders. This makes sense but at the same time it's not like some of the smiths are worse than others. Everyone is really good at what they do and QC helps to create a consistent and uniform result where critical.

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Back