8" AEB-L chef knife with cherry burl

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
I haven't been making too many kitchen knives, of late. In fact, I really don't remember when I made the last one. Anyway, a good friend reached out to me in need of a cool gift, so this is what I came up with.

The the fully distally tapered 8" blade is thin AEB-L, 2-3/8" at the heel, and features some stupendously beautiful stabilized cherry burl. The stainless steel dovetailed bolsters are a first, for me, and were a lot of fun. Stainless corby bolts complete the package.

2019032718254373-_dsc8192-X3.jpg

2019032718254373-_dsc8194-X3.jpg

There's a method to the madness with my choice of a machine satin finish, aside from me being lazy ;). More than almost any other knife I make, I expect a good kitchen knife to be pummelled. Worked to within an inch of its life. Maybe even neglected a little bit. By finishing them this way, there is almost no portion of it that I can't return to rights with a minimum of effort - which, hopefully, will increase the odds of its use as the tool that it is. Also, I've found with the right machine satin treatment, it reduces food stick a bit.

Thanks for looking!

Beautiful knife. It looks to be as useful as it is beautiful, too.

One beautiful and highly functional knife. Love the joinery with the dovetailed bolsters and that cherry wood burl is just plain gorgeous. Mike

Back