8" Chef, 4" Paring, O1, and Buckeye

Here are a few recent blades I finished. They have dovetail bolsters from 303 Stainless, Stainless corbys, Buckeye that was stabilized by K&G and came from Mark @ BurlSource, and a rounded spine. The O1 steel has a 400 degree temper - 60/61 HRC and is 3/32.

I like the way they turned out. I put a super fine scotchbrite finish on them. I kind of wish I had gone with full polish just for looks, but the schotchbrite will give it a better finish for using.

20120509_093157.jpg

20120509_093249.jpg

Critique welcome

Are the blades etched or is that just the picture? The blades look gray like they've been etched is why I ask.

They look good. :)

I prefer (totally personal) a pointier tip to my paring knife....more better for detail work IMHO.

Adam, they do have a forced patina.

I honestly hadn't thought about pointier tip. I might be afraid to go too much thinner as these are pretty thin as it is. I'm afraid that if I went too pointy and thin, it would be too easy for the tip to break off.

Very nice! I really like the look of the set although I agree, I like a finer point on my paring knives. Maybe that could be the third member of the set!

I would drop the point on both knives and again make the parer pointier. You could do this by simply grinding down the spine with no further thinning of the blades.

Cool knives.
I would agree with Bill's suggestions though.

Just a thought on the subject of a forced patina;
One of my favorite kitchen knives is W2.
I find myself using it a lot cutting different foods just so I can watch the new variations develop in the patina.

I guess I'll drop the point more next time.

Mark, do you ever find that the W2 makes leaves a black layer on onions? I've heard that in the past about some W2 but have never used it or seen it happen. I was told it is from the sulphur in the W2 but can't say for sure.

I haven't used w2 but from what I have read, the discoloring of onions is usually with the first use.

Back