8-ton log splitter -- will it work?

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
Got a chance to pick up a working 8-ton hydraulic log splitter for $150. Can something like this be effectively converted into a useful press?

Bladesmiths have been using 25 lb power hammers for years, and an 8 TON hydraulic press won't work?

I have had my press set at 15 tons, 20, and 22. The 15 would get the job done, almost, but you could stop it with a billet as it cooled. There was a BIG difference between 15 and 20 tons, and even a bit more yet at 22. The higher the tonnage, the more work per heat, and that benefits the steel.

While you certainly don't need 30-40 tons to pattern weld steel, I personally think you'll find that 8 tons is a bit light in the long run. However, for $150 you'd still have a logsplitter if it didn't work out, or you could sell it again. It cost me about a grand to build mine, a clone of Buxton's built by Ron Duncan, Bill Buxton and a little work from me.

My point is that I'm sure there are still plenty of bladesmiths out there making their damascus with just a hammer and arm strength. I'll bet any of them would jump at the chance to use a 8 ton hydraulic press, and give their arm a rest.

Not being an owner of a hydraulic forging press, but I do have a 25 pound Little Giant. It has been sooooo long since I used any of the mass, force, energy equations from college that this next statement may be off a bit.

The way I figured it was that my little 25# LG hits with a force of about 225 pounds when striking at 180 hits per minute. That is just pure kinetic energy and does not include any of the spring contributions.

Plus, all of that energy is focused in a small area through the dies. My drawing dies are 2.5 inch radius, so there is maybe an inch of surface area in contact with the steel.

I think in hydraulic presses, the dies are alot bigger so you need more tonnage.

If you were to put power hammer sized dies on that 8 ton spliter, and nibble your way down the billet, i think it would work just fine. But then the whole premise behind a hydraulic press would be lost. Plus it would take for ever to work the billet in that manner.

A power hammer "generates" alot of heat in the billet from the rapid striking of the billet. The guys using a hydraulic press want to do alot of work fast, before the billet looses too much heat. I think that is why most recommend 20+ tons.

Just my $1.02

I have a 22 ton arm Danbo:footinmou
Sorry, the arm just like a 25 pound triphammer is faster than the press so what you lack in tonnage you make up in repeat hits.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong:yawn:

PETER;You have to come up so we can have a race, your arm against my press. My ram speed is 2 inches per second.:) :) :)

Its not the welding you need the high tonage presses for, shoot I've welded billets together using a 5" bench vise. Its the drawing out that you need the tonage for, welding is the easy part. But then again when you get into moasic patterns the tonage is really nice.
Its the drawing out, higher the tonage the more steel you can move until the steel cools down, within reason. Its got to be hot no matter what your moving it with, either hammer or press.
For $150 thats a petty cheap press. I wouldn't build one that lite for making damascus, but with a little modifying it will squeeze up smaller billets. Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Dan: I going to tell Bertha what you said. She may be fast but she isn't easy.:D :D :D ;)
28724187fIaeaoOnnq_th.jpg

Crap man, I wish I could run across a deal like that! I'd love to get my hands on a $150 log splitter right now. I got like 6 corde of oak and maple needing split and stacked, and I can truthfully tell you that splitting logs with a maul is hard work! Good for ya, though.

Back