80 SFM correct for metal cutting bandsaw?

Just wondering if 80 SFM (on a bandsaw) is too slow to cut metal? I've just finished building a "bolt on" conversion for my wood cutting bandsaw, and timed the 14" wheel running at 22 RPM. This gives me just a hair over 80 SFM, but it seems so SLOW! Is that a good speed, or did I misinterpret what everyone was telling me?

Thanks!

Brad

Hello Brad,

yes and no. 80 fpm is slow but I think you did the right thing. For cutting low carbon steels you can certainly go faster, however when you push some tool steel or stainless thru the saw, you'll be glad that you're at 80. The truth is in the chips, look at them closely and note the color and shape. Good chips are shiney silver little "9's",.... brown, gold, blue or otherwise discolored chips result in poor blade life due to excess heat.

Best wishes,
Rob Frink
Beaumont Metal Works

Thanks for the refreshing news, guys. No metal blade yet, but I'll be getting some! Cool thing is that with the throw of a belt and a blade swap, I've got my 3000 SFM wood cutting saw back.

And Rob, the grinder is coming along nicely - just got my 10" wheel in the other day. You were right, it was from Contact Rubber. Still in awe with what you machinists can do with a piece of aluminum. Maybe someday for me... But for now, I need to get my shop together so I can create some knives to post in this great forum!
smile.gif

Take care,
Brad

Brad...metal cutting does take a slow speed with a bandsaw, you're on the right track. A bi-metal blade with 14 tpi would do the trick. I'm trying to put a tire brush on mine, finding the rubber tire becomes imbedded with metal chips (wood too).

------------------
ColoradoBoy

Back