810 just got back from warranty work and is still not right

One possible reason for up and down blade play could be that the liners have deformed over time if the knife has been abused.

I'd be more inclined to think it's the angle of the ramp the Axis slides on with a combination of weaker springs. SO many people want a flicking/flickable knife that the springs just aren't what they used to be. How many of the 15+ year old Benchmades still have original springs and still going strong. and no blade play? Some of the newer ones are just plain weak.

Don't have the models with that prob, but someone asked about the new KSF 908.
I received mine today and can say there is no play in any direction whatsoever. Great knife with fantastic F&F!!
No Contego for me!

No Contego here, either - but I do have Adamas, MPR, Rukus, and Skirmish large bladed BM's in my collection. They are some of my most carried and used knives, too. They do occasionally get off-center, easily remedied by tightening the pivot screw. Despite owning and carrying a number of AXIS lock models, I've never had an AXIS lock spring break, either.

Stainz

I have a contego, and after some slightly hard use, I'm sure the liners deformed, it has bad up and down play now, and if I look at the liners, it has some slight divets in them. Maybe they should use harder steel on the liners, along with stiffer springs.

I have a contego, and after some slightly hard use, I'm sure the liners deformed, it has bad up and down play now, and if I look at the liners, it has some slight divets in them. Maybe they should use harder steel on the liners, along with stiffer springs.

What were you doing that supposedly caused the liners to deform ?

What were you doing that supposedly caused the liners to deform ?

I was chopping up some branches at work, and used one of the small frail half rotten branches to lightly baton through some tougher pieces. Not hard use, at least I would say. My zt handled similar work just fine. After words my lock stopped working, and the blade kinda ceased up. I forced it closed, cycled it a few times, and it started working again, just now with play. For what this knife is supposedly designed for,I would say it should have handled that just fine.

Bummer about messing up your knife. Though I've honestly never heard of anything good coming from batoning folding knives.
Out of curiosity, how did you keep the frail rotten branches from disintigrating as you hit your knife into harder wood with them?

Well apparently they weren't frail enough to disintegrate. But I wouldn't say they were robust enough to damage this knife, considering it's supposed to be a hard use knife design. I think they need to run the liners a little harder, to malleable in my opinion.

When I read this about the contego blade play I had sent mine in and was prepared for
a less than perfect fix.
I also never used benchmade's services before. Gotta say they emailed me on receipt of my knife,when they were planning on repairing and
gave me a tracking # for the shipment home which is very much appreciated. Also ℅ the springs,liners,etc. and all vertical play is gone, so
a big thank you to Benchmade for a job very well done.

Back