I haven't really cared for patinas until now. Those look wicked!

What method of cord wrap is that? I just picked up a hest and would like to learn how to wrap like that. Thanks for posting your pics man!

I haven't really cared for patinas until now. Those look wicked!

What method of cord wrap is that? I just picked up a hest and would like to learn how to wrap like that. Thanks for posting your pics man!

Mabey I'll do a vid on the wrap over the weekend? Kinda hard to explain in words.

Yeah man, good lookin' Looks like bullet impact splatter in a couple of those pics.

I'm not sure if it's important, but how thick are the slices of grapefruit that you used? Also, what can you tell me about lighting for those photos you took? I have a casio 12 megapixel camera that I'm trying to figure out a little better... I know it's capable of good shots like these, but my technique needs some work...

JGON

I'm not sure if it's important, but how thick are the slices of grapefruit that you used? Also, what can you tell me about lighting for those photos you took? I have a casio 12 megapixel camera that I'm trying to figure out a little better... I know it's capable of good shots like these, but my technique needs some work...

JGON

Slices mabey 1/4in thick.

I am a photographer, I used a Nikon D300 with a 105mm micro-nikkor macro lens, su-800 wireless flash commander used to fire 2 off camera sb-800 speedlights with diffusion domes.

Man that looks sick! Can you give a quick shot on what steel's need this, or can have it done? Again looks amazing!

Most non stainless high carbon steels will take a good patina, 1095 and 5160 are my favorite for patinas.

Also, the more roughed up the blade is the better the patina will turn out, polished blades dont take or hold a patina very well.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that you will have to resharpen after the process, as the patina really dulls the edge quite a bit.

Thanks guys! I have tried many many different things for patinas but in my opinion grapefruit slices are the best by far.

I've been avoiding forced patinas, but damn buddy... That is nice !

I used a grapefruit to patina an Izula. I was lazy and just stuck it in the fruit. Yours look much better. I might do mine again your way.

I tried this out on an old machete I had laying around. It turned out ok on one side and bad on the other. Figured out you need to slice the grapefruit horizontally. The pattern turns out a lot nicer. Also mine did not come out as dark as yours, but I don't know the steel of the machete so maybe that makes a difference.

That is the best looking patina I have seen so far. My hest is not even here yet and I want to do that, but I think I will wait and wear in the factory coating first.

Back