851 Barrage - How bad is the Blade buggered?

Lemarque

Gold Member
I purchased this FPR from a "trusted" online retailer in "Excellent" condition. Overall it is in perfect condition, it even smells musty like it's been in storage. Except for the very tip of the M390 blade on the clip side. To my untrained eye it looks like it came from the factory that way. Doesn't appear to have been sharpened but it barely cuts paper.

Feedback and comments on whether I should send it in to Benchmade, wait months for it to be returned, and hope they will replace the blade (and I image I'll lose the FPR imprint) or return it to the dealer.

Pics and videos

Thanks for any virtual Valium

-
L.

If you're unhappy send it back to the seller. It's not terrible but for Benchmade money one expects better.
Personally.id live with it.

were you planning on using it or is it for a collection? if the former i would just put a new edge on it and start cutting. i have a few first production knives & they get used like the rest of my blades. afaik first production doesnt add much value excepting a few rare, older models

Thanks guys.

I decided to keep the 851. I really like the heft and blade. It will be a 'user'.

After spending more then a day reading posts on the forum and YouTube videos, I'm probably going to crack open the piggy bank and buy a Hapestone R2. The issue I now face is that the cost of stones. Since I'm a hobbyist, $400+ is out of the question. There's a dizzying choice of stones and similar for suppliers. Even tho there is a myriad of posts about stones on the forum, I think I'll have to add to the swarm or just ask Hapstone.

Back