_Thin_ 7-8" carbon steel knife for the kitchen?

So an ex-employer of mine has this wonderful old carbon steel kitchen knife--it
s the thinnest blade I've ever seen. It's paper-thin near the point. Now, this gentleman isn't a knife expert, but using a proper knife has spoiled him for thicker blades. Unfortunately, due to some damege to the knife, it has to be replaced. And he asked me what to replace it with... :confused:

Now, I'm thinking that a fillet knife might suit his needs best. Thing is, he wants it in the carbon steel that he's gotten used to and 7-8 inches long. Didj'a know that almost all fillet knives are stainless? Like, even the ones from companies that usually use carbon steel, like Old Hickory? And the only carbon steel fillet knife I turned up, a Sabatier, was 6". And I can't tell from profile photos how thin the blades are.

Sooo...

Help! Needed: one carbon steel kitchen knife, 7-8" long, _very_ thin and highly flexible. Please? :D

have you looked at the large Opinel? its carbon steel, fully convex ground, and one of the thinnest blades available on a knife that size. however, its not as large as you're looking for, at 6 1/4" i think. happy hunting.

Kenny

I have a carbon steel Sabatier which I could send you but it's 10".Of course I don't know what you mean by 'very thin'.You might also check for Japanese knives . They still make carbon steel kitchen knives.

Try some of the japanese style kitchen knives, especially the santoku. They are almost all very thin. There is a canadian that is working in japan who makes knives in japan..his name escapes me.. but his ktichen knives are very reasonably priced.

Kenny,
Unable to find a fillet knife at opinel-musee.com... Any idea where you've seen it?

kamkazmoto,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think a santoku might be a bit too broad for his tastes after using this slender kitchen knife, but I'll show him my (stainless) santoku to give him a feel for the type.

mete,
Thanks for the offer. I might be interested in that for myself even if he isn't. d'you have an image? (and just how flexible _is_ it?)

Thanks, guys. Anybody else know anything?

Sabatier,carbon steel,10"blade, max width 1 1/4" ,one inch from the tip it's about 1/32" thick at spine.Laying handle flat on table , I can lift the tip about 4".

dullone,
I've never seen those before. Dunno how the handles and black coatings'll go over, but I'll mention it as an option. If nothing else, it'd make a great "backup".

mete,
That sounds fantastic. Could you possibly drop me an email? I'll need to know how much you want for it, and I'll give the guy the sales pitch :D

Thanks, all of you, for helping out. If anybody has any more ideas, please LMK. It's possible none of these'll work out, or that there's something better out there.

Man, I love this place :cool:

Try one of the Old Hickory knives... carbon steel and thin. And they are dirt cheap too.

kamkazmoto said:
Try some of the japanese style kitchen knives, especially the santoku. They are almost all very thin. There is a canadian that is working in japan who makes knives in japan..his name escapes me.. but his ktichen knives are very reasonably priced.

Murray Carter?

His knives are very reasonably priced and he uses laminated blades with either white or blue steels...

I was also thinking Murray Carter. His blades are thicker though...

You could also get some very inexpensive Green River kit blades in carbon steel. I think they have a 7inch one that is mega-thin. Slap on some handle material you like and - voila ! I still have a little Green River paring knife from my kit knife days - it performs very very well. Check out the knifemaking supply stores like Koval, Texas Knifemaking and Knife & Gun Finishing supplies. Jason.

I got an old Old Hickory that is real thin and flexible. But the blade ain't that long. More like 5". Didn't Cold Steel once make a CS filet knife??

What about dexter russell... the quality is twice as high as the Old Hickory... as is the price... but then, what's doubling 4 dollars?

Mongo,
Old Hickory was the first thing I thought of, too. Unfortunately, the only knife I saw in the size range was their fillet knife, and it's stainless. I'm having trouble finding a site that carries a good number of Old Hickories, though. Any suggestions?

Jason Cutter,
I checked out Koval and TK, and couldn't find a single reference to "green river". Took me a minute to figure out that "Russell blades" are the same thing :D
Unfortunately, the only two blades I'm seeing that're _near_ 7-8" are both described as "stiff":
http://www.kovalknives.com/home.htm

MelancholyMutt,
The Dexter - Russell site is a bear to navigate, but I'm gonna plow through it later. If nothing else, I might just pick up one of their "6" wide, stiff boners" ;)
http://www.russell-harrington.com/PLF_DR.htm

On a related note, I'd _love_ to own a Murray Carter santoku, myself, but it just ain't in the cards right now.
(And I'm gonna qualify this statement like crazy, 'cause it's sent my foot hurtling toward my mouth before, but here goes: "From what I've heard, Alton Brown uses a Murray Carter santoku, so how can you go wrong?") :cool:

Back