A bit of history and a Thankyou

Having lived in the Mid Hudson area most of my life, ( which at one time was the cutlery capital of this country ), the knife companies of this area and their history, as well as the people who were part of them, have always fascinated me. I have known three generations of people who have been part of this tradition. I have collected over the last 50 years many items and information regarding this particular aspect of this area, and being retired ( I was a NYS peace officer) I now write and lecture on this subject that I have always loved. Recently rather accidently, by virtue of my interest and writings on this subject, I was afforded a rare honor. I was offered a tour of the Imperial Schrade cutlery plant (in Ellenville NY ). Please I wish it to be known, this is not a common occurrance and Schrade does not normally offer tours. However to keep my information factual and because of my writings on the subject, I was given this opportunity. It was an amazing experience. The most immediate impression is of the relationship between all levels of staff. Everyone is on a first name basis (no matter what their title). Some of the employees have worked for Schrade for over 50 years ( yes 50). Noise, heat and general conditions were much better than I had expected and everyone seemed to know and even enjoy what they were doing. Knives that I had used and knew all my life were being made and put together right before my eyes. I was like a kid in a candy store. I want to sincerely thank all of those people who made that experience possible. It amazes me that the quality of product made by these people can still be manufactured and competively sold ( against the shabby goods from third world companies produced at a fraction of what it costs here ). Schrade still uses brass rivets, nickle silver bolsters and makes sure that every piece meets incredible standards. I inspected several knives considered seconds, minor imperfections deeming them as such had to be pointed out to me. For anyone interested in this aspect of Schrade production the most informative writing I have found on it is in The gun digest book of knives 5 th edition ( by Jack Lewis and Roger Combs.DBI books) pages 217-223. It is as close to taking that tour that you can get without being there. Before going on, I also want to say that when you enter the main office the walls are lined with accolades (plaques and thank yous from everyone from virtually every civic organization in the area), for the generous help Schrade has given to the community. I am including a few history notes, photos with this posting. Some folks are not aware that Schrade used to make table cutlery years ago. The set in this picture was made sometime between ( 48-58 ). It is stainless steel and rosewood in a leather box. The razor ( Schrade also made razors) is a Schrade Cut (03-46), and another pic has the box it came in. There is a rather bad picture of the old schrade label. Finally, there is an old photo that used to be out on route 52 (from the 50tys or 60tys)offering a job to anyone who was willing to work and learn a trade. What do you think, should I have taken that job or what I did, go to state prison just down the road from Schrade and take a job there for 26 years. I hope you have found this interesting and by the way Thankyou and keep up the good work Schrade, your attitude, work ethic, and pride have done a lot more for this country than that prison down the road. Rich. PS Special Thanks, Dave
View
View
View
View
View
View

------------------

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 06-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 06-24-2001).]

Thank you for the virtual tour. I agree that Schrade is one of the best value makers of cutlery out there.

Enjoyed it--an old Schrade-Walden folding hunter is one of my favorite knives. It takes an amazing edge. I have more expensive knives, but a couple of old Schrades get a lot of carry.

What a great history lesson....wonderful. I appreciate all you contribute to this forum.

Great pics, too!

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Buck Collectors Club-Lifetime Member
JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

Back