A boy and his barlow

Thank you for sharing this with us. A very heartfelt story. Funny how something as simple as a boy's pocketknife can become a thread that runs through a man's life, then is passed on to start a new journey. You are very lucky to have been surrounded by men like your dad and Uncle Johnny while growing up. But, I think you know that.

Thanks for sharing your story, SubSpace. I lost a Vietnam Vet uncle to a strange cancer, and he too rarely spoke of his time served. Those were different days, and no matter your stance on the topic, they certainly contributed to our perhaps more carefree today. Uncle Johnny sounds like a great man, and while I'm sorry for your loss, I'm glad that his memory will live on with you and your family. We all need to remember to cherish the good things in life (and no, I'm not just talking about your Lick Creek Barlow!)

- T

Excellent post!! Thanks for sharing and posting pictures of your two special Barlows.

Even on the porch it would be hard to find a better barlow than Uncle Johnnys.
:thumbup:

What a touching story! I'm sorry for your family's loss. Thank you for sharing something so personal with us.
The picture of the knife really puts impact on the story. If possible, could you post a picture with the blade open?

Wonderful share Subspace. Your uncle sounds like he was a good man, and I'm glad you got his Barlow. These old knives need good home with people who will appreciate the stories and lives they've shared.

And, I agree. It is the memories.

Thank you all for your kind words. If there's a porch on the other side of life, I hope Uncle Johnny is sitting on it. And I do hope there's barlows. Here is a blade open pic. At some point, Johnny used the tip as a screwdriver. Otherwise, there's a lot of life left.

IMG_3449_zpszocrpj0r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back