1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

A boy and his barlow

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by SubSpace, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Ratbert

Ratbert Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Thank you for sharing this with us. A very heartfelt story. Funny how something as simple as a boy's pocketknife can become a thread that runs through a man's life, then is passed on to start a new journey. You are very lucky to have been surrounded by men like your dad and Uncle Johnny while growing up. But, I think you know that.

2. spycycle

spycycle

Dec 15, 2014
    Thanks for sharing your story, SubSpace. I lost a Vietnam Vet uncle to a strange cancer, and he too rarely spoke of his time served. Those were different days, and no matter your stance on the topic, they certainly contributed to our perhaps more carefree today. Uncle Johnny sounds like a great man, and while I'm sorry for your loss, I'm glad that his memory will live on with you and your family. We all need to remember to cherish the good things in life (and no, I'm not just talking about your Lick Creek Barlow!)

- T

3. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Excellent post!! Thanks for sharing and posting pictures of your two special Barlows.

4. arizonaranchman

arizonaranchman

Jan 1, 2012
    Thanks for sharing, what a great story. That knife is very special indeed.

5. KBA

KBA Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I really enjoyed this. Thank you

6. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Even on the porch it would be hard to find a better barlow than Uncle Johnnys.
    :thumbup:

7. Halfneck

Halfneck

Jun 30, 2005
    Rest in Peace Brother Medic.

8. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    That hit me. Thanks for sharing this beautiful tribute to your uncle.

9. Macchina

Macchina Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    What a touching story! I'm sorry for your family's loss. Thank you for sharing something so personal with us.
    The picture of the knife really puts impact on the story. If possible, could you post a picture with the blade open?

10. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    What a great story, thank you for sharing

11. btmccutcheon

btmccutcheon

Jul 10, 2013
    Wonderful share Subspace. Your uncle sounds like he was a good man, and I'm glad you got his Barlow. These old knives need good home with people who will appreciate the stories and lives they've shared.

And, I agree. It is the memories.

12. Cutromano

Cutromano

Jul 23, 2009
    Very nice post!

13. SubSpace

SubSpace

May 26, 2011
    Thank you all for your kind words. If there's a porch on the other side of life, I hope Uncle Johnny is sitting on it. And I do hope there's barlows. Here is a blade open pic. At some point, Johnny used the tip as a screwdriver. Otherwise, there's a lot of life left.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

14. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    A wonderful story a a fine American Hero.