A Broad-Headed Skink

Has decided to take up residence on my front porch. He's really very tame, although I've just read they are very nasty biters, so I'm not gonna try to pick it up!
15rm9e8.jpg

He is a real cutie.......

Growing up on the semi tropical east coast of South Africa our house always had various lizards and reptiles around.
When we would drive up to the house in the afternoon the Iguana's would be sunning themselves on the black tar and they would run off the driveway in their familiar zig-zag pattern.
Lizards are amazing creatures.

Wow, that looks like something from another planet. He'd last about five minutes in our 13% humidity.

We have a bunch of the beautiful blue tailed and golden skinks in Central Oregon. I still love to find them and take pictures of them. They love to burrow in hair too. :)

What a beaut. Use gloves and pick him up. He will calm right down. Thanks for the great photo!
Rolf

If you want to pick it up do it when its cold.

My friend used to have a blue tongue skink and it was so tame, you could put it in a backpack and it would feel home there

If you want to see something cool looking, google Shingle back skinks.

What a coincidence!

Just a couple days ago I found a skink curled up in my kitchen sink (old villa on my ranch that I am working on). I went to wash my hands of saw dust and there it was.

This one is called a copper skink.

Here it is.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2utqli9.jpg

and here it is on my hand not wanting to leave! It just stayed there studying me as intently as I was studying it.

http://i43.tinypic.com/9kxuo8.jpg

Thanks to Esav for making me aware of this thread, as I have not been very active on the forums lately due to work.

I dont see too many skinks about here but there is piles of geckos :):thumbup:

Here is the biggest and smallest I'v seen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC08543.jpg
    DSC08543.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC07794.jpg
    DSC07794.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 182
Awesome skink pics. I had one of those grab me by the finger once. Very unpleasant. They bite HARD! After that bite, he calmed down and I carried him around for a while.

We have a lot of these blue tailed skinks around the house. They are very fast and smaller than the broad-headed. Haven't seen any yet this year, just the big guy.
Blue_Tailed_Skink.jpg

I had some little lizards similar to the ones in Emanuel's pics near my front door. I say had as I had put up some little glue traps to catch some insects that were sneaking past the front door. I didn't catch any insects put got two lizards.:eek:

Where do you see the Geckos? I'm guessing Taiwan?

Yup, there from Taiwan, there isnt too many wild geckos in Scotland :p
There is a few lizards and snakes in Scotland but if you see one you have been pretty lucky.

Speaking of snakes, I nearly put a foot on this little guy a few weeks ago :eek:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC09122.jpg
    DSC09122.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC09125.jpg
    DSC09125.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,029
This is a little mock viper I found near my house last summer, a really cool wee snake :):thumbup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 150
  • snake5.jpg
    snake5.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 150
We have a lot of these blue tailed skinks around the house. They are very fast and smaller than the broad-headed. Haven't seen any yet this year, just the big guy.
Blue_Tailed_Skink.jpg

The first pic is what my dad always called a Umeces which is the name of the Genus of the skink. I am pretty sure the second picture is an immature of the first you posted. Now if it had 6 lines it would be a different type but since it has 5 I'm pretty sure it is immature.

I am just going on what I remember growing up from what my dad told me as he has his PhD in Zoology.

Yup, there from Taiwan, there isnt too many wild geckos in Scotland :p
There is a few lizards and snakes in Scotland but if you see one you have been pretty lucky.

Speaking of snakes, I nearly put a foot on this little guy a few weeks ago :eek:

attachment.php

attachment.php
Is this little beauty a Green Bamboo Viper? If so he likes to bite. Not a lot of venom though.

Back