A coffee cup saved me from grevious injuries....

We have a dog,Honey ,I got from the pound 3 years ago. Was told she was an abused street-stray puppy. Loved her,nurtured & trained her to become my best ever dog in my long life.

Sunday morning,early, I opened the garage door & she took off like she had Jato. Honey is a much mixed breed but mostly Rhodesian-ridgeback ,weighing about 55 + pounds. Having strong hunting instincts,I knew a threat was there. Begore & could pick up my grandmothers ancient .32 Iver-Johnson , I arrived armed with an aluminum & rubberized coffee cup.

Honey had a young 'coon by the shoulders & was being giver what-for because she couldn't get it by the neck . Mamma coon was at my head level coming down head-first . She was as long as Honey & weighed at heast 30 + pounds, largest I'd ever seen . I realized that if she joined the fight Honey'd be in a world of hurt. Large mouth & 4 paws with those sharp claws,Honey might be greviously hurt or even killed. Too,there was the thought of Rabies......

I advanced on mamma & threatened her with my cup. She threatened to jump on my head & duke it out. Still suffering from my concussion,I didn't relish a fight & another trip to the emergency room & more stitches & maybe rabies shots.

She would feint & back up but still was in jumping range so I kept waving my cup. Finally,ignoring her youngs yowls & screams,went back up in the palm fronds & stayed there. Honey had finished the young one by then .

From now on,I'm carrying the .32 out each morning.

Uncle Alan :)

Seems like the perfect reason to go buy a larger caliber pistol...Coon's can be dang tuff!

Or you could go REALLY big!

tadpole256-albums-interesting-picture494-barrett-50-cal.jpg

Doh. Glad you and Honey are both ok. Kudos for sticking up for your pooch. :thumbup:

Glad you're both OK. Make sure you eat the baby coon. Coon hash is tasty. Be nice if you could've gotten mama coon too. You'd have eaten for a while off one that big.

:)
Seems like the perfect reason to go buy a larger caliber pistol...Coon's can be dang tuff!

Or you could go REALLY big!

tadpole256-albums-interesting-picture494-barrett-50-cal.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx,but my WW 1 S&W army revolver would be handier .

Uncle Alan

Had a sort-of-similar incident many years back. We got a call of a "barking dog" at about 3 in the morning. Usually, this is a neighbor complaining, but in this case it was the dog's owner, an elderly lady.
The dog, a big boxer, was in the back yard barking furiously.

The dog had cornered a skunk against the chain-link fence. He'd lunge at the skunk, and the skunk would bite the dog's nose. It was a Mexican standoff... Either the skunk was an escaped de-glanded critter, or he was out of juice; no attempt to spray.
I didn't want to grab the dog, who was quite agitated, and I didn't want to try to shoot the skunk in such close proximity to the dog.
I grabbed a nearby yard-broom and whacked the dog with the brushy end. He turned to look at me and the skunk, seeing his chance, jumped the fence agile as any cat.
The boxer sort of shrugged and started wagging his little stump of a tail. "Scared him off, didn't I!"
I advised his owner to get the pup rabies shots.

Back