A couple of axis lock questions

Lil Timmy said:
The 2 springs currently used is already redundant. I've never heard of anyone having both springs fail, even through years of hard use.

I agree. I've used a BM710 for over 4 years as my EDC and I've never had an issue. However, some people won't buy an Axis lock because they worry about the springs failing, so my comments were more of a joke than anything else.

The beauty of the springs in an Axis is that they are only under moderate pressure. Especially when you compare them to a coil fired automatic.

I don't think a change in springs is needed because there just aren't that many reports of them breaking. Benchmade may have had a bad heat treat on a batch a few years ago becuase there were a few reports of them breaking then, but I've not heard anything lately. For as small as the arc of movement is on the Omega's they should last forever.

Sometimes I think we all get caught up in what the nay-sayers are saying and start looking for ways to improve an already perfect design. IME, their arguments are often a red herring for some other issues they don't want to express. (Bias)

...that were of a greater diameter and hence "stronger",however that would a require a far greater pressure by thumb and forefinger to operate the lock-*slower- speed-of-use?* and the subsequent drilling of the relevant parts to accomodate thicker springs might not be worth it(as well as voiding the BM warranty).Never had trouble with mine.BTW can I order extra Omega springs from BM? :)

I resisted buying an axis lock knife for a long time because of the spectre of the dreaded spring failure. Then I actually picked one up and thumbed it open. What a mistake! Now I own 8 with another one on the way.

To quote Robert Palmer, "She's so fine, there's no telling where the money went"

of all the things that could go wrong/break the omega springs breaking would be waaaay down the list of things i would worry about, imho, even on this forum ya rarely hear of it, and then usually only 1 breaks, in which case the knife still works. IIRC only 1 or 2 have ever had both break.

i wouldnt worry about it, or buy/make springs, just too rare of an occurence.

Back