A couple of lost persons

Twice last year I had the opportunity to talk to someone who had been lost in the woods. It was quite interesting to hear their experiences and how they reacted to them. The first was in bow season. I was walking along a game trail on the side of a ridge when I saw what appeared to be an American flag moving down on the fire trail below me. Being naturally curious I had to see what it was. I slipped down over the ridge and made my way over to the bright colors. When I got there I found a young man in full camo with a huge expedition style pack, with an American flag motif. We got talking and it turned out that the year before he had gotten lost in the woods. He was the type, like myself that liked to get off the beaten trail where you see less hunters. Well he had gotten turned around at night when coming out of the woods and had to spend the night in the woods by himself. He did not have any equipment other than his bow so he curled up and piled leaves over himself. He was like most people I have met, he had never truly been alone in the woods after dark for more than a few minutes. The experience scared him badly, and his first reaction was to decide he would never hunt again, but he fought that urge and he came up with a plan that worked for him. He would go out, but take along everything he needed to survive (in his mind) for an overnight. He also said he did not go off the trails more than a few feet anymore. He had a tent, sleeping bag, propane cook stove, food, cookware, cell phone, spare clothes, jacket etc. Even though I thought he was going a tad overboard, I did have to give him credit, he was trying…

The second guy I met, I actually “found”. My brother-in-law and myself were driving around the trails, looking for new places to hunt. This was in muzzle loading season. We were just turning around on a trail, deep in the woods, and this “wild man” came running out of the woods after us, screaming and waving his arms. We stopped and found a young man in camo pants and a sweat shirt, sweating, crying, scared and desperate. After giving him something to drink and sitting with him to settle him down. We found out his story. He had started in the woods that morning, it was approx. 12:00, with a muzzleloader, hunting pouch and accessories, warm coat, hat and gloves, none of which he had when we found him, and he had no idea what had happened to them. He had started a couple of miles from where we found him and had cut diagonally , lengthwise, through the tract of woods he was in. He had crossed more than a couple of fire trails and foot trails, but he reasoned that he had no idea where they went so he did not follow them because he “did not want to get more lost”!! Such was his mindset that he could not reason that each one went somewhere, in at least one of the directions. Also since he was supposed to be familiar with the area he was in, he should have known that at the widest north/south point the woods he was in was just over 2 miles. That means that if he traveled in a north or south direction the farthest he would have had to travel is 2 miles no matter where he started. And he was equipped with a compass, at some point. The direction he was traveling would have eventually led him to a paved road in about 6 miles from where we found him. If he did not cross it like he did all the trails he came to. He had at some point lost his rifle, coat, hat, gloves, compass, and several other items, and he never remembered what he had done with them. Last time I heard of this gentleman he had sworn never to set foot in the woods again.

Just some food for thought.

Hey Mich....

This is what happens when people panic.. They let their mind run wild, and they build themselves up into such a Flurry,, they use their minds and make rash decisions...

Take the time to think out your situation.If it's serious take measures..

Sounds like this guy wasn't too far from help,, if he only spent the time to actually think about it.Loosing his gear was a mistake that could have cost him his life!

ttyle Ericv...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel
Custom made, High Quality
Concealex Sheaths and Tool Holsters
Canada's Only Custom Concealex Shop!

Sounds like the guy that Greg writes about in the beginning of his book as an illustration of what can happen.

Tom Brown has talked about finding the dead bodies of hunters with a full magazine in their rifle and all their supplies, and their tracks had shown them wandering in panic all over the woods. Some of these bodies he found were only yards from a main road!

Panic is the biggest backcountry killer. Greg's STOP formula should be committed to memory by everyone -- and you know what the cool thing is? The STOP formula can be applied everywhere in your life when you are conquering dilemmas. Very simply, it's a formula for success. I'll take the liberty of posting it here, from page 165 in his book (I hope Greg doesn't mind):

S: stop. Clear your thoughts and focus on the problem.

T: think. Identify practical solutions. Consider each in detail.

O: organize. After looking at your options, pick one. Develop a step-by-step plan from beginning to end.

P: proceed with your plan. Be flexible, and make adjustments as necessary.

Commit this formula to memory, and make it a part of your daily thinking in regards to everything you do in life. If you develop the habit of approaching life this way, it'll be ingrained in you if you ever get into a dire survival situation, and probably save your life. Right now, think of a problem, big or small, you are trying to overcome, whether at work or home -- wherever -- and apply this formula to it right now. You'll feel better just having done this, and can then move to succeed.

Also, everyone should get Greg's book and put it in your bug out bag or survival kit -- it's so well written and clear that even under stress, you can follow the step by step process that Greg lays out, and thrive in a survival situation rather than just "get by."

My copy has been triple-bagged in ziplock and goes with me everywhere.

Best,

Brian.

[This message has been edited by Brian Jones (edited 14 December 1999).]

One of the best panic-stoppers I have ever heard comes from Doc Ron. When you suddenly realize that you are lost and alone in the wilderness, what is the first thing you should do? Answer: take a ****. (Ron adds that if you are in *real* trouble, and people are trying to kill you, then nature takes care of this for you.) Here are the reasons:

-- You are accomplishing something useful.

-- You will have to do it sooner or later anyway.

-- Thinking of yourself squatting there with your pants around your ankles is pretty funny. It gives you a sense of perspective.

-- You will suddenly think, "Where's the toilet paper?" Having to improvise toilet paper already puts you in problem-solving mode.

Then I suppose you are in a position to think about your situation. :)

I've had a couple of students write to tell me that they tried the technique and it worked great for them. One guy got out his topo map while he was saluting the Allatollah and figured out where he was. If he hadn't done that he said his "sense" of direction would have sent him in another direction. He was home in time for dinner.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

Interesting technique, I will be sure to rememer that and pass it on.
smile.gif
I have always thought that Pat MacManus' Modified Stationary Panic would be useful in this situation, as it got the panic part over with and kept on in the same county.

For those who do not read him. This consists of jumping up and down, screaming Russian folk tunes or any ephitath one can think of, throwing in a few squat thrusts and kicks until the feelign of panic subsides. (or somethign similar to this it has been a while since reading it)

This is better than his Full Bore Linear panic which consists of running full bore, richoething off trees until you work you way out of the woods or the country whichever comes first.

His reasoning for getting the panic out of the way is that since you will yo might as well get it over with.
------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

[This message has been edited by MichLee (edited 15 December 1999).]

Back