A couple of new toys

Just got a few new toys (knives) in the last few days and I thought I'd share a few impressions.

Buck Strider model 880SP: I got the new and improved version with dual thumbstuds, reversible pocketclip, flame treated lockbar and less abrasive G-10 scales. It's pretty much the same big and nasty tank of a folder as the original except you can open left or right handed and it's easier on the pocket seams. For those who complained about the Buck Strider eating up your pocket, this one is for you. The texture on the G-10 scales allow for a good grip yet not as abrasive as the earlier models. They feel very much like the G-10 scales on the Al Mar SERE 2000. Also, Buck has decided to outfit the Strider folders with dual thumbstuds and a reversible pocket clip for left or right side tip up carry and the washer set up is different. It just feels a bit more solid. I'm glad Buck improved on the Strider folder. They made a solid knife even better.

Kabar Dozier Folding Hunter model 4062: All I can say is that these little Kabars are unbelievable knives for $20 bucks. Smooth one hand opening, reversible thumbstud and pocketclip, adjustable pivot screw, beautiful satin finish and a razor sharp edge. A superb little lockback folder that makes you want to kiss your old Cold Steel Voyagers goodbye. This is definately alot of knife for the price. Blade Magazine wasn't kidding when it gave it the the best buy of the year award.

Cognet Douk-Douk: I acquired 2 in a trade from a fellow forumite. The first is an all black medium sized Douk-Douk and the second is a small Tiki version. These French made folders have carbon steel blades and metal handles. There is no locking mechanism, but the spring is quite strong. While they have a very thin profile there is absolutley no blade wobble in these folders. They are by no means pretty, but they are sharp, sturdy and cheap. If you want an inexpensive ($15-$20) do all folding knife you don't mind abusing, the Douk-Douk deserves a serious look. They just may be one of the knife world's best kept secrets. Check out this review by Fred Perrin on the Douk-Douk

EKA Swede 88(with Normark stamp on the handle): I got mine from Ragnar at Ragweed Forge. It's a beefy little lockback folder with a plain edge 12C27 Sandvik steel. The handle is a supposedly a solid piece of Bubinga wood and has an adjustable pivot screw as well as a leather lanyard. Overall it's a nice little folder and comes scary sharp, but my only gripe is the slight up and down wobble in the open/locked position. This can be corrected to some degree by tightening the pivot screw, however, the action will be a bit stiff.

I'm gonna have to pick up one of those new 880's. I had two tanto SB1's and traded them but I've been kicking myself in the ass for it... Now is the time to get another.

I picked up a couple of Douk-Douks (from the same guy you did, I think! :) ) Not only is the blade a thin flat grind, but it tapers to the tip as well, making it very sharp there indeed. It makes a great little bread knife, slicing cleanly through soft or hard or stale with hardly a crumb to break off.

Back