A Couple of Turkeys

I thought I'd post a picture of my Dad with ths giant turkey he shot. I still haven't been able to get one-- but I keep trying!

turkey19rm.jpg

turkey23zj.jpg

This one had 8 beards on it, the longest one was about 11 inches long! You have to cut the legs short just to get them to fit in the oven on the lowest rack! Love those birds!

I've been muncing on it off and on for a couple of months, now. We didn't bake this one. It got butchered and frozen.

SUWHEEEEEEET! I've been "turkey hunting" two springs in a row now, and haven't gotten one yet. It is still too painful to discuss this year's events. But let's just say, I have seen "Tomzilla" and I know where he lives. I will get him next year.

Nice! Congrats to your Dad :D my buddy shot his 1st this last spring, he said it was as much of a rush as deer hunting.
Are Ya getting geared up for deer season? I'm stoked! archery opens on the 17th in Minnesota. :eek:

WOW that's a nice one!!!! How much did this one weigh and what state? Shotgun only in SC but hear of other states using other firearms. What kind of call. Use to weigh them in for a transportation tag after it was recorded and by the way/////beautiful bird and hard to call in. :)

I don't think I'll be doing any deer hunting this year-- I'll leave it to my Pop to supply the venison. I'll be sticking to birds. Just shot a bunch of doves this last weekend. Gotta get a lot of those to make a meal.
Not sure how much this turkey weighed-- It was pretty heavy, though. We use those little reed calls that you carry in your mouth and blow it against the roof of your mouth: "Chirk-chirk-chirk!"
We do most of our hunting close to home-- one of the great benefits to living in Northern California. This one was shot somewhere in the hills northeast of Sacramento (I didn't go on this hunt).

Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the turkey our national bird rather than the eagle. He had a number of reasons for this choice, but I had always thought them pretty lame until I saw a flock of wild turkeys flying through some Virginia scrub pine woods. They are nothing like the overweight, stupid birds that we see around Thanksgiving time. They are fast, smart, and very agile.

Nixelplix said:
I don't think I'll be doing any deer hunting this year-- I'll leave it to my Pop to supply the venison. I'll be sticking to birds. Just shot a bunch of doves this last weekend. Gotta get a lot of those to make a meal.
Not sure how much this turkey weighed-- It was pretty heavy, though. We use those little reed calls that you carry in your mouth and blow it against the roof of your mouth: "Chirk-chirk-chirk!"
We do most of our hunting close to home-- one of the great benefits to living in Northern California. This one was shot somewhere in the hills northeast of Sacramento (I didn't go on this hunt).

Hunt near many celebrity weddings? ;) :D

Awesome looking bird man... Congrats to your dad :cool: :thumbup:

Turkeys have made a come back here in recent years and from what I can tell, they have no problem reproducing. Each day I see several groups of a half dozen or so on the way to work. I haven't figured out why they like the sides of the highway though :confused:

Back