A custom Sharpfinger pattern?

Codger_64

Ban me if you must guys, but this knife is not a Schrade. And it doesn't pretend to be one either. It is a custom designed knife which riffs on the Schrade Sharpfinger pattern with some subtile and some significant changes. It was made in Bountiful Utah, U.S.A. by knifemaker Ryan Weeks with some input from me after I used his prototype passaround knife last fall and winter. I provided some of the materials which made it an "old timer" in the literal sense.

The handles are 10,000 year old mammoth tusk bark ivory and 5,000 year old stabilized bog oak with an 1800's Morgan silver dollar spacer, mosaic pins, G2 liners, 1095HC blade with hamon and tapered tang, thumb notches on the ramp, and an ACA edge. The sheath is elephant hide to compliment the mammoth tusk.

The Ryan Weeks SPK (Sportsman's Paring Knife):

8yvwbs.png

abjxhu.png

9h71cl.png

34rj3wn.png

o029i.png

A fitting tribute to Ryan's grandfather, a fan of the Schrade Sharpfinger like this old Codger.

I am starting to see more of this design. Nice to know they are moving a classic forward. Very nice.

quite a good looking knife and love the pins. i don't think you are up for banning just yet!

:):)Oh Hell. Let's ban him. All he brings to the forum is wisdom, experience and decency. The banning will bring him notaritaty. Next thing you know he will be on twitter, Facebook and dating a Kardashian. :):)

It looks like it is a Schrade USA inspired knife, so I think Codger can stay.

Very beautiful knife. Everything goes together so perfectly. I'd love to see a working version.

Nice!!!

Meet my Orvet custom based on a Camillus blank. You can see the family resemblance.

Great rendition! I like that blade/edge shape more than his re-curve version, from a use standpoint.

Fantastic handle material choices too!

I love the scale wood on Mr. Rick's knife above. And we don't see many customs based on the Camillus GP152.

Here is another custom. The blade is 1095/15N20, I believe a kit blade. The handles are Amboya burl w/brass pins.The handle and the sheath were done by Darrin Sanders. It just arrived in a trade with another forum member.

2na645g.png

I think that the Sharpfinger is where the knifeworld ended up in the search for the "best" hunting knife. I don't know how long since they were first introduced but for my money the Schrade Sharpfinger is unsurpassed in design.

I think that the Sharpfinger is where the knifeworld ended up in the search for the "best" hunting knife. I don't know how long since they were first introduced but for my money the Schrade Sharpfinger is unsurpassed in design.

1974. Schrade was the largest U.S. knife manufaturer and the Sharpfinger was their all time best selling fixed blade hunting knife. How popular was it? If you were an action adventure star like John Hart, the Lone Ranger... you would choose a Sharpfinger knife for your hunting.
2441unl.jpg

zjccgi.png

:):)Oh Hell. Let's ban him. All he brings to the forum is wisdom, experience and decency. The banning will bring him notaritaty. Next thing you know he will be on twitter, Facebook and dating a Kardashian. :):)
Not to mention martyrdom. ;)
Oh heck, even if it's not an original Shrade, it still looks good. :)

Back