A decent straight razor

I have spent some time learning with a low quality straight, and am getting acceptabley good. Any input on a good intermediate level razor?

Are you looking at new, or vintage? Do you handle your own honing, or do you just maintain? That will matter more for vendor than actual blade, but still helpful to give advice.

I do my own honing (the main reason why I went with a cheap one)
I am currently thinking new.

As far as I know Dovo, boker, thier issard, Ralf Aust, are all doing good stuff still. I have not looked much recently, but it seems that since the straight razor fad has died down, there isn't as much junk in the actual shaving shops, though one would want to do some review looking as well. SRP would be a better place to go looking for the most current info though.

buy a vintage straight in good shape, I wouldn't trade any of mine for a new theirs, dovo or boker, I have owned and used all three and wont ever bother with another. the austs as far as I have heard are ok, other three not for me.

It seems my initial inquiry was not worded clearly. I am familiar with a few brands by reputation, and was wanting some suggestions for a more interesting shape then a 5/8 round point.

Difficult to suggest a specific shape when you don't knoe the person's exact preferences.
4/4 Wedge
13/16 shoulderless hollow
6/8 full hollow spike
Etc

I've got a beautiful Dovo Solingen tortoise straight used very lightly I would part with if anyone's interested.

Can’t use anymore since the Lahaina kaanapali sugar cane train was scrimshawed onto it but it’s a Dovo and was a great razor till I decided it enough and stopped using it because I didn’t realize when my father purchased it in the 60’sthe handle was ivoryF023562A-D775-44A6-980A-D76967D58F85.jpeg 2D03AB12-8B87-472B-94A0-CFCFB3975684.jpeg . I only leather stroped mine and canvas. I had it sharpened professionally

Haven’t used this in over 25 years

1E809154-D6E3-4B79-B1BD-292F9256BDA0.jpeg BD679F39-FCDC-4C9D-BD26-B8194DD36119.jpeg My only neat pair of clipping scissors.. mostly just for show now I love the
Patina... it’s a boker and I love the handles

Those are some nice looking scissors. If you sharpen them yourself then how would you go about sharpening them?

Hoo hoo fortunately for me I live by the Phoenix knife house and they do it for me .... I’ve never actually sharpened them myself. They are now sitting with my knives in a knife bag

I can’t seem to find any info from IMDb or google about the “Twins” in matrix reloaded for name brand the straight razors they use or if they are customs from the prop shop? Anyone know if they are over the counter for stillshots or customs..

Check out whippeddog.com. Larry sells vintage razors at a very good price as well as new razors. I started with a lot from him 4 years ago and still use it. Nothing is cheap, inexpensive, but not cheap.

I have a (rather high end?) Böker with damasteel Blade and CF handle. There's a cheaper Carbon Steel micarta one (~40€) I'd get if I needed a new one

Back