A Distinguished Gentleman by S/Walden 1946 with some Distinguished Friends.

Larry, Michael, Larry, and gang,

Spoke with Dave Swinden today (I actually work side by side with him every day, how cool is that?!?!) regarding the Gent's knife, says it was an SW model, I believe the 848, gussied up with the gold covers. The covers on that knife, and pretty much all the covers for the gold shelled knives for Schrade Cut/Walden and Ulster, were made in Providence RI. Providence was pretty much the costume jewelry capital of the world at the time, with companies ranging from six hundred employee monsters to two man gold chain manufacturing partnerships. He couldn't recall the name of the company, but they made anything from solid gold covers to gold plated covers and clasps for the Schrade group. The knives were not shipped there for completion, but rather the covers were made to the particular knife's specs and shipped to Schrade. One end was usualy cupped or had tabs to attach to the scale, while the other end had the shackle grommet (often gold or gold plate as well) spun on by the knifemakers to hold it in place, which in turn held the entire assembly together.

I asked him about the calendar knife as well, but that one came and went before he was even aware of it. They did try to patent it as I have the patent application for it here, but I believe it never made it to issuance. No real detailed drawings, just a knife and a letter opener (?) with the calendar drawn on. I do believe they paid for the filing though, I'll have to dig it up to see.

Eric

Great info Eric. Thanks!

The Distinguished Gentleman from 1946....now and again one is seen and sellers often don't know what they are offering.....look out for them...Hoo Roo

G'day ...the Schrade Walden hidden key knife is quite light by comparison to its genuine Schrade-Walden 14Kt gold cousins...hence, sadly the S/Walden hidden key knife is only gold plated....the S/Walden Hidden Key knife came in its unique 'faux' leather small display case together with a gold Schrade Walden embossed pouch.....all are shown in these photos displays....
The S/Walden Hidden Key knife is shown in post#3 photo No4...with the gold S/Walden embossed pouch in front of the box it is shown in...its genuine box is behind the first knife in that photo No4.
Last photo in post #4 also shows the unique Schrade Walden hidden key and gold pouch....being only gold plate it is the collector value only, rather than also having intrinsic 14Kt gold value..on a good day they bring about US $80-$100 complete & mint.........on the auction site however you don't see many complete with all box and bling.......hope this helps....Hoo Roo

Last edited:
Larry I have the same knife that is in the pictures in thread #4 and it is picture 5 the knife on the right. How much would it be worth today did you say $125.00 in your last post to me?

Larry I have the same knife that is in the pictures in thread #4 and it is picture 5 the knife on the right. How much would it be worth today did you say $125.00 in your last post to me?

I was asked for some information on this SS778. I have seen the 778 in the 53 catalog and older stag handled versions but not the golden wolf handled version.
Anyone seen one of these that can share some info.
Thanks

Attachments

• Scan1s.jpg
    Scan1s.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 25
Larry, that was a knife handle done by Shaw Liebowitz, I'll have some more info on it tonight when I get home from work. Think it was done late 1970's ?

What about this one?
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Thanks again Larry303 with entrusting me to be the custodian of the beautiful " Fortune knife Set"
Now in the stable of the Maroochyman "down under" with quite a few other Schrade thoroughbreds.

Keep looking after my babies Maroochy...talk to them often like I did.....you certainly know a good Schrade when you see one....if not a good greyhound?....lmao.......Hoo Roo

Opening photos have not been wiped by Admin from this post...enjoy these unique USA Schrades if interested while you still can..when you see quality knives like these you understand why I regard Chinese made as knife garbage......Hoo Roo

Back