A fighting set...

Hey Guys-

This is a fighting set commissioned by Peter Gill 33 years ago. I FINALLY was able to deliver recently.

S30V blades hand-rubbed to 600X, 416 guard and bolster, stabilized Afzelia burl handles, KILLER sheaths with Elephant inlay by Mr. Kenny Rowe.

FANTASTIC photos by local photography guru Coop!!! :D

-Nick-

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

orig

Very nice !! How did he manage to make such a perfect color match with the wood and sheath ?

It's been too long since we've seen your outstanding work Nick, that's just awesome. Thanks for sharing.

33 Years? :D

Thanks guys! :D

It was just luck on matching the elephant to the Afzelia. I'd never seen Elephant this color before... but it's really snappy in person. Kenny did a bang-up job on the leather-work.

Okay, so 33 years ago I was but a twinkle in Jim Wheeler's eye ;) I came floundering along 6 years later :)

But I think Peter FELT like it was a 33 year wait :eek:

Mark's there's one sitting on the bench! It just needs a new handle... the other handle was really pretty English walnut, but it turns out it had a big, fatty void in it.

Thanks again fellas :)
-Nick-

http://www.wheelerknives.com

holy crap!!!! Those things look like they were worth the wait. :eek:

Some great pics by Coop too.

That's a great pair, Nick. Anyone would be proud to have those in their collection. Well done!

Lookin good Nick, I throught you were go'in for the JS this year, what happened?

Bill

Hey Bill-

Yea, I was going to, but canceled at the last minute as I just couldn't get my knives to where I was happy with them.

Not going, was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.

But rather than dwell on it, I've been busting my butt trying to get orders done and am really enjoying the work.

There's always next year, right? :)

Thanks!
-Nick-

With those in hand, you'd be ready for anything. :D I missed seeing you at Blade. Too bad it didn't pan out for you. It's better to wait then rush and end up disappointed.
Scott

Nick,
Very nice set. I was wondering what happend to you ......glad your safe. We would have been sitting next to each other at the show. Hope you make it next year.
Mace

The push dagger is really sweet! :D

very nice Nick
I'm sure the wait has only added to the value of the set :D

hey you got your name upside down on the bowie.. :(
now you got to do it all over :D

where's the frog for the sheaths? :)

sweet

Next time you make a knife like that you should take pictures, and create a tutorial. It would be greatfully appreciated.

Nice stuff, Nick. I didn't realize you were doing any work in stainless; you send 'em out for HT or do it yerself?

Thanks again guys-

Yep Fitz, I still use plenty of ss! :) I feel more partial to BG-42, but that's just me. I have a fighter ground out of the new CPM 154CM on the bench as well. I have Paul do most of it, and am playing with it a bit on my own as well.

I made a promise to myself at the beginning of this gig to try and stay open minded... and part of that is using a broad range of materials (within reason of course). I figure as long as I've got a good reason, I'll try most anything for a knife.

Thanks buddy :)
-Nick-

Back