Test fit all your pieces,
i-93LqwdM-XL.jpg

Find a suitable weight,
i-FF6c9xg-XL.jpg

If it’s for real, bait and wait,
i-2xLRRDd-XL.jpg

The big picture,
i-4nMq3CK-XL.jpg

With rabbit tracks all around. This probably would have netted a prize if it was for real.

But this time it was just a fun skills practice afternoon in the woods.

For extra credit points, make a pack toggle,

Source a smaller stick,
i-cS3npT8-XL.jpg

Cut it to desired length,
i-PsSm6Ts-XL.jpg

Grab some twine. You all carry twine right?
i-HBQHvrZ-XL.jpg

Tie a square knot to make a big loop. Hold the loop on the stick and pull the tail through. Then wrap the loop around the tree and pull the toggle through. Fast, easy, and portable.
i-HXmDMZV-XL.jpg

I today’s episode of “Fun With Sticks”

We have another exciting use of your basic toggle.

Toggles make a fast and easy way to attach your lines to tenst or tarps.

Just tie a loop in your cordage and pull it through the loop or grommet on your tent or tarp.

Caveman simple, Flash fast,
i-z8jhfxz-XL.jpg

If you’re expecting high winds, heavy weather of extended periods of slack lines. Loop the loop through itself half hitch style and then slide it over the toggle.

Coulpled with a Grapeving or Taughtline hitch. This makes camp set up fast and easy. And it makes take down even faster. No crazy knots to untie. Just untension the toggle and slide it out.

The toggle is so simple I feel like an idiot. Will be making one for backpacking...thanks.

Nice pics and info Thanks, but I noticed your F1 pro how do like it and how does it perform for you?

I've thought about getting one maybe when one pops up on the ex at a good price. Thanks a lot much appreciated.

Ladies and gentlemen.
Welcome to another episode of “As The Twig Burns”

Probably the most boring reality show on television. Perhaps the most real, but boring.

A quick breakfast. (Made indoors and delivered. Oh the Horror!)
i-mjWmkNT-XL.jpg

Some warm up exercise,
i-6b2QCSK-XL.jpg

And then to work.

First a trip to the lumber yard. I found what I needed in the bargain section,
i-MftNbvw-XL.jpg

I ran it through the planer to true it up a bit.
i-F9cm6JB-XL.jpg

Then I wrapped a small section with this space age material called twine. It’s what held the Gemini capsules to the saturn rockets. The Skunk Works folks also used it extensively.

This will keep the splits from traveling too far. Nothing worse than traveling splits.
i-zHQbwgd-XL.jpg

Then I made the splits. Two actually. In a cross fashion.
i-vd8wT7w-XL.jpg

Another shot from the end. Here you can also see the two toggles I added to act as spacers.
i-BT8nk7R-XL.jpg

A little more twine wrap to adjust the spacing of the ends. Carve some points, a it’s a frog jig or fish spike.
i-47bt9T6-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I know what you’re thinking.
“Viking, that’s cool. But we don’t jig for frogs much these days”

Got ya covered!
Take another piece of lumber from futher up the plank.

Cut it to your desired length. Peel it if you want. It will last longer if you do.
Then wrap it like before.
i-2jJJ7nh-XL.jpg

Only this time just one split. Same deal, jam a toggle in there and tie it off.

Now you have a Barbecue Fork to go with the tongs we made last week.
i-N8w7BJ8-XL.jpg

That’s it for today’s episode.
i-wQTJs5w-XL.jpg

Brian,

The new metal hilt versions are pretty nice. They take an already great knife up a step.

The F1 Pro is a tough do it all scrapper.

The TK2 has a little more finesse.
i-SBwZfP4-XL.jpg

Thanks L.V., yeah I like how it reminds me of the TK2, which I actually like a little more due to the nice pointy tip and have lusted after for years since I first saw one But I think the new F1 is a bit more affordable if I saw the prices online correctly. I'm sort of starting over on knives now that the divorce is finalized and paid for. But my budget is still tight due to a bad injury and other issues.

Back