A file work question

Before heat treating usually. After ht it can be cleaned up with diamond files.

It should be laid out so it will be uniform otherwise it looks like a rat knawed on the blade. Practise on scrap brass. Buy good needle files. Keep it simple. Specialize on one style.

Good luck

I thought I was having de ja vu... I answered in your other thread that Cougar moved to shop talk for you...

Bruce Bump said, "Buy good needle files.................."

Soooooooooooo, what brand would those be and where can they be bought at?

I've tried some from Exacto and others of suspicious origin and been unhappy.

I'm not afraid to pay for GOOD tools, just tell me what/where to look.

Thanks

Syn

Brownell' carries the absolute best needle files I have ever used. I will buy no other for serious work.

Thank you for your comments gents,I have a full set of Nicholson needle files that still work great after about 20 years of work ,this is my first attempt at working a knife.
Richard

I really like OREGON files. They are easy to get around here and it seems that I only have to replace them when I misplace them. They sell round files to 1/4" and maybe bigger. I also like the flat files they sell, no teeth on the edges.
hope this helps.
Del

I've found the harbor freight diamond file set to work really well on hardened steel, they may not be quality but for $5 I can get 2-3 blades out of it and that's fine with me :)

Bruce Bump said, "Buy good needle files.................."

Soooooooooooo, what brand would those be and where can they be bought at?

I've tried some from Exacto and others of suspicious origin and been unhappy.

I'm not afraid to pay for GOOD tools, just tell me what/where to look.

Thanks

Syn

As said already, Brownells have good products. They arent the cheap imports but real tools designed for gun smiths.

Back