A First for Me

Hey all, here is my latest. This is the first time I have made a "plain" bladed knife. It is my typical "hunter" style patterned off of the Schrade Sharpfinger. The blade is diferentially heat treated C1095 (60 HRC). I did a "two tone" hand rubbed finish on the blade. Amboyna Burl scales with brass pins.

I just couldn't resist doing a non-damascus blade anymore. I have seen so much of the fantastic work you all are doing and there is something about a nice clean non-damascus blade that turns my crank.

Let me know what you think, good or bad. Thanks in advance.

hunter1_col.jpg

Sean I got a kick out of that - how many makers start out making damascus? And later switch to simple steel? :D You slay me.

The knife looks good, nice finish and your usual fine handle work.

Looks Great
Heres one I just finished out of 1084. 10 1/2 inches with an Elk handle.
0.jpg

Take care
TJ

Thanks guys.

TJ - That is nice. Is that a temper line i see? I tried to get mine to show, but it got sanded away. I sanded up to 600 grit, hit it with ferric chloride for a bit, and then when I went to clean her up, it erased my temper line.

What is the correct way to get them to show? Thanks for any help.

I can see your "style" right off, but it's very differient seeing it without a Damascus pattern. I like the "clean" lines and look Sean. All of your work catches my eye.

Looks great. I get a kick out of that too, like dave :D And, I definately see your style coming out in it. :cool:
One question: What exactly does 'two tone' mean? did you polish it to two separate grits or what? Very nice.
~Brian

Thanks again all, I appreciate your complements.

She is a bit different for me. I thought it would be eaier than it was to make a non-damascus blade. But I ended up spending a buch of time playing with the finish. This one in particular is really sharp without having any kind of secondary bevel to it. She is hollow ground and the primary hollow ground bevels meat to make the cutting edge. I finally learned how to do that from making a few folders. You have to love a knife that is already "toothy" off of a 180 grit belt. ;)

What I call a "two tone" finish is from two different grit finishes. The primary flats on this knife are finished to 320 grit, while the bevels are finished to 600 grit, which gives a semi mirror on matt look. You can see it in the pictures. The 320 grit finish looks to be brighter in the pictures.

IMHO the handle looks to be a bit fat/wide. But I am hesitant to change it because she feels really good in the hand. And especially with a knife that is intended to be used, as opposed to the "wall art" that I usually make. I feel I can sacrifice a bit of "flow" to make her comfortable in the hand.

Anyway, thanks again all for your comments. I love to hear what you think. It just helps to make me a better maker. So don't forget to tell me what you don't like so I can fix it on the next go round.

Sean cool
where's the beef :confused: :D
hey you gota hit all the spots and that's one of them.. :D

Michael - She is about 8 inches over all length with about a 4 inch blade and about 1.25 at the widest. Made this one out of 1/8 inch thick 1095. It was fun and alot less stessful than finishing off a damascus version.... ;)

Wow that looks great! Good to see you stepping up the plate with stock removal of simple carbon steels. It's a big step from making your own Damascus and all that forge nonsense. :) Next time I come down I'll bring my little jar o' clay and we'll have you forging Japanese stuff in no time flat. ;)

Back