A first knife for my son

So that grate milestone in every young mans life is looming for my son, yes his first knife. I am undecided on what to give him. My first knife was a two bladed barlow that I still have in a cigar box on my dresser,but I am thinkming about a lock blade of some kind for him. As some of you have probable already delt with this and all you of you got a first knife what are your thoughts? What is the best "first knife" for a boy in north ga with a grate and vast back woods as his private domain

Thanks

Dan

My first knife was a small two-bladed jack knife (so a slipjoint). The first knife I asked for and received was a Victorinox Swisschamp. Maybe go with a Victorinox OHT if it isn't too big (not sure how old your son is). It looks and has extra tools on it to use; that's why I loved my Swisschamp :D

For a folder, id go with the delica 4 i think. My first real knife was a mini griptilian.

I would say izula. if he is going to be in the woods a lot, either that or a machete would be invaluable.

I recently went through exactly the same thing! I bought my son a BUCK 301 with the Elk Handles. It was absolutely fantastic to see the ear to ear grin on his face; worth a million pounds (or dollars for all of you over the other side of the pond).

I'd say something that locks. You don't the blade to close on his fingers. Maybe a Buck Prince, and get his name engraved in it. My son's first knife was a Buck Mini Buck...that was about 9 years ago (he is 14 now).

can't go wrong with a Buck, in many flavors... an American Icon :D

Don't know how old your son is but Buck has some nice little folders that would make a good first. I may get another one my self they are pretty sweet. I'm sure he will be proud of whatever you get him though

My first knife at five years old (forty years ago) was a miniature Western Bowie with a carbon steel blade (full tang), which I used intensively for years and which is still in excellent condition--although my mom had to restitch the sheath. My ten year old daughter's been using it for a few years. She doesn't know it yet, but she's soon to move up to a Fallkniven F1. Now, I prefer an ESEE-4, but I selected the F1 because it has a stainless blade with no choil, for obvious reasons. I CAN'T WAIT to give it to her!

My first knife was a Victorinox Bantam. Nothing fancy, just a blade and a bottle opener. No locks or gimmicks.

I'd recommend something along those lines...maybe a Case or some such nicer slipjoint if you wanted to spend a little more, but something innocuous like that would seem to be a good choice to help a kid learn safe knife use and maintenance.

Hope that helps!

My first was a Case lock back with a 3" drop point blade and walnut handles.
My son is 3 now (and apparently the same height and weight as an average 5yo) he will receive a Buck Creek 3 blade whittler with cracked ice handles when he is strong enough to open it :D

I would recommend for your son, an Izula with aftermarket kydex. Not just for you, but because I did the same for my son, and I do not regret it at all. It is a great learning blade for a kid.

My first knife was a small cheap 2 blade slipjoint that I lost fishing a few years later when I fell in the river(shit happened lol). After that I got a buck 110 that I've used for any edc task and never let me down.

Vic Huntsman

Just gave my daughter her first knife a couple of months ago, a super tinker.

I think something that's a bit of a classic is nice for a first knife. My parents gave me a Swisschamp as my first knife (they're not "knife people") and even with the plethora of knives I've bought since, it still sees quite a bit of use.

First knife I bought with my money (because the shop didn't ID check 12/13 year old) was a Buck 110 knock off. This one's on display because of it's sentimental value and it deserved to go into retirement after many years of faithful service.

My first knife was the Schrade uncle henry LB7 Lock back folder, got it when I was 10 I'm 48 now and still have it!

Back