A fixture I made, thought I'd share.

Many of you have probably needed something like this, or made somthing similar over the years. Here's my version, made big enough for almost any concievable knife.
Not every knife needs it, but occasionally the method of construction has you wishing for three hands at the drill press.
This one has leather cauls bonded to it to protect the handle and blade from marring, and it can be tightened with somewhat directional pressure on the handle end if needed.
It can be used for glueup, or in this case for tang hole positioning, then glueup.
C1GeTsuySi6dkWMoM0fMsJt17U4SCICohdowUReZSHE=w752-h564

DSC03846.JPG

I've been needing something exactly like that and have been rolling around all kinds of intricate designs in my head. A simple design like that never crossed my mind. Thanks for sharing Salem.

Nice rig ;0)

I have also been kicking around a few ideas for something similar, mainly for bolster compression, looks like if I used your design with a second vice attachment it would be perfect for my needs (1 vice tight and 1 loose) and I could clamp it in a bench vice knife tip down so the epoxy would not run out

The last two knives I built, I spun my vice upside down drilled a hole in the tang and stretched a bungee cord from the tang to an eye hook in the ceiling, hows that for some redneck engineering LOL

Thanks Salem

That is a really good design for this purpose. I particularly like that the left side has a slot rather than a hole to make assembly easy. I want to make one. Thanks for sharing . Larry

I like yours a lot better than mine !!!
About a month ago I was watching a video and saw one and thought ... simple and effective.
I copied the one on youtube but I think I need to modify mine after seeing yours.
Definitely liking the clamping style better than the compression style.
Thanks Salem,
Troy

photo-3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Good stuff Salem :cool: Thanks for sharing my friend. :)

I made a couple fancy ass gizmos for this, and I never use them. This is definitely one of those things where K-I-S-S wins out (directing the "stupid" back at myself, not you Salem!). :)

What is that you have it propped up on in the drill press pic? Is that a strop? It's kind'a funny, a buddy of mine pointed out that the guys that have been making knives for awhile pay just as much attention to the stuff in the background as whatever is in the focus of shop pics... I know I'm guilty of that one! LOL :D

Thanks Salem! :)

Glad you guys could get some use out of it!
Nick, yes that is a strop. I made it a long time ago and never liked it much- it's been kicking around being a blade sanding board mostly since.

Back