A forged chef's knife

Here's a simple chef's knife I recently finished.

attachment.php

The steel's previous life was as a Bush Hog model 7556 mower blade. My brother-in-law is a contract mower for the state doing the medians and road sides of I-75 and some state roads here in Marion county. He gave me a stack of used 3/8" thick blades and said "have fun!".:D This blade has a distal taper and tapered tang which I'll photograph and post later. The knife has a 5 3/4" blade, is full height flat ground and has G-10 scales which were left at 100 grit for a better grip. It was triple quenched and triple tempered. No real need for an edge quench on this one so it's a full quench job.

Thank's for looking!:D

All the best,
Mike U.

Attachments

• mvc-090s.jpg
    mvc-090s.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 261
Thanks guys!:D

Here's a rather grainy shot of the spine. It's proving to be a bit tricky trying to get the shot and not get a light reflection off the spine too.:confused:

attachment.php

Attachments

• mvc-093s.jpg
    mvc-093s.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 219
Let's try this again. Here's an even grainier pic of the taper in the tang. Sorry about the crappy pics, I really gotta build a light box.:rolleyes:

attachment.php

BTW, I forgot to add that this is my first ever attempt at a tapered tang.:D

Attachments

• mvc-094s.jpg
    mvc-094s.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 216
Thanks for the kind words guys!:D

Matlock,
It's put together with hidden pins. All thread rod is what I used for pin material. It should be interesting to see how it holds up.

All the best,
Mike U.

Mike I like it! Nice distal taper and very nice blade shape. I'm jealous of you guys who make knives you get to keep and use!

Dave

Thanks Dave! But, I have already lost it to the better half.:( Now I guess I'll get to see how it holds up in that cutlery torture chamber my wife calls her kitchen. :eek:

All the best,
Mike U.

HOLY CRAP! That's awesome! Forget it just being a chef's knife; it would make a helluva camp knife if you ask me :D

Thats one of the neatest, cleanest, simplest and most convincing kitchen knives I've seen for a while. Classic shape and the handle looks as straightforward as it can get - and comfy too. I presume the steel hardened up nicely. What steel do you think it is ? 10-xx series, 5160 or L-6 ?? Jason.

Thanks Fellas!:D

Jason,
I'm thinking it's 5160. The Bush Hog people state they are using spring steel for the model of brush blade I scavenged the steel from. They didn't say much else on it though.:(
It hardened up really nice though and the blade cuts very well so far.

All the best,
Mike U.

Back